What is the best brand and color stain for maple

+5
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 26, 2018
    Your Local DIY Store will have a selection of makes and colours. They will also probably have someone there who could advise you. If possible take a sample of the wood with you.......
  • Ken Ken on Apr 26, 2018
    That depends on what you have available and what color you like. Minwax makes quite a few different color stains, not because one is better than another, but because people have different tastes. I use Minwax because it is what is readily available.
  • Amanda Amanda on Apr 26, 2018
    Hi Judy. I like Minwax stains. The best color depends on what you want. I would go to your local home improvement store and check out the swatches they have. They usually even show the color on the different wood types.
  • Keep in mind, maple can be difficult to stain - it tends to get blotchy. Talk to a professional at the hardware store.
  • William William on Apr 26, 2018
    I like to use Minwax products. Also for raw wood I like to use a wood conditioner to prevent blotchy finish. It absorbs more into a loose grain and less in a tight grain.
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Apr 26, 2018
    we used minswax paint on our maple island they also make stains
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Apr 26, 2018
    Maple is a very hard wood to work with -- but MINWAX is best stain all the way around
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 19, 2020

Hello Judy,

Maple is a slightly yellow wood! You would need clear or golden colour for best results.