DIY Kitchen Backsplash

$500.00

I used Smartmat tile setting mat from Home Depot, found my glass tiles at Lowes. The cost was under $500. We bought this 1960's ranch and gutted the kitchen, put in new custom cabinets, granite countertops and bamboo flooring. It was still missing something so I saved my money and bought the tile for the backsplash and all the materials to go with it. I then did the project myself except for a little help with grouting from my husband. I might be 64 but I know I can do anything that I set my mind to. fI still need to change out the outlet covers (thinking brushed nickle) and pick out my doors and drawers pulls. I think it turned out pretty good.
diy kitchen backsplash, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling, wall decor
Before.
Before.
After.
After.
After.

• Mary

What a difference the tile made!! Great job! Was it difficult to do? I need to do mine but I'm afraid it's too difficult!!

• Jill Mooney-Brewster

@ No, it was not difficult. I used the Smart tile setting mat from Home Depot. The glass tiles were really heavy and I had to keep pressing them into the mat. If I had to do it over I would do small areas with the mat, then set tiles, then grout. That way the grout would dry and keep the tiles from slipping or pulling away from the mat. I put all the tiles up at once and then started grouting and some of the tiles would pull away over night and I would have to push them back into the mat. There were lighter glass tiles but the tiles I chose had stone, glass and metal tiles in the 12" square so that made them heavier. I would definitely tile again. The results make it all worth it.

• Tonya

I have the same exact tile. I used a few strips of the linear glass tiles to break up the monotony of the squares. I am very proud. Looking at yours solidifies that I made the right choice, because you've done an outstanding job. I think we are 'tile-twins' with a twist. Thanks for sharing your bravery. I love it:))