DIY Kitchen Backsplash

$500.00

I used Smartmat tile setting mat from Home Depot, found my glass tiles at Lowes. The cost was under $500. We bought this 1960's ranch and gutted the kitchen, put in new custom cabinets, granite countertops and bamboo flooring. It was still missing something so I saved my money and bought the tile for the backsplash and all the materials to go with it. I then did the project myself except for a little help with grouting from my husband. I might be 64 but I know I can do anything that I set my mind to. fI still need to change out the outlet covers (thinking brushed nickle) and pick out my doors and drawers pulls. I think it turned out pretty good.

Before.

Before.

After.

After.

After.

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Memorial Day Crafts
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Mary

What a difference the tile made!! Great job! Was it difficult to do? I need to do mine but I'm afraid it's too difficult!!

• Jill Mooney-Brewster

@ No, it was not difficult. I used the Smart tile setting mat from Home Depot. The glass tiles were really heavy and I had to keep pressing them into the mat. If I had to do it over I would do small areas with the mat, then set tiles, then grout. That way the grout would dry and keep the tiles from slipping or pulling away from the mat. I put all the tiles up at once and then started grouting and some of the tiles would pull away over night and I would have to push them back into the mat. There were lighter glass tiles but the tiles I chose had stone, glass and metal tiles in the 12" square so that made them heavier. I would definitely tile again. The results make it all worth it.

• Tonya

I have the same exact tile. I used a few strips of the linear glass tiles to break up the monotony of the squares. I am very proud. Looking at yours solidifies that I made the right choice, because you've done an outstanding job. I think we are 'tile-twins' with a twist. Thanks for sharing your bravery. I love it:))