Lisa @ {createinspire}
Lisa @ {createinspire}
  • Shawano, WI

From Barn to Beautiful: Antique Buffet in Black

I was lucky enough to be introduced to this beauty a few days ago. We met for the first time in a barn where she was being stored. Covered in bird poo, falling apart, and in need of some serious TLC I decided she needed rescuing. I ended up gluing, clamping, and peeling damaged veneer and the results were so worth it!
from barn to beautiful antique buffet in black, painted furniture
Before. One of the side panels was peeling and warped so I had to remove it. I then sanded smooth and it was ready for paint. The bottom was broken in half and a few of the detail pieces had to be reattached. We fixed them with wood glue and clamps and then pinned them to make sure they were secure. The drawers were also stuck tight and had to be sanded down so they would move freely again.
I did 3 coats of All Surface Enamel in stock black from Sherwin Williams, sanding between each coat and then finished with a coat of polyacrylic. People always ask me how I get a smooth finish and I always say sand, sand, sand!!! It's more work, but it's totally worth it!!
I sanded the top down (to remove the old, flaky finish and the bird poo) and then stained with Java Gel from General Finishes. I finished the top with 3 coats of polyacrylic.
I lightly distressed the details so they would pop against the black. Seriously, so pretty!
After. Stunning!

Lisa @ {createinspire}

• Connie Short

Beautifu!
    Can you explain your choice on the type of paint you used? What is your go to paint and why?
    All of your hard work really paid off in this stunning buffet and thank you for sharing,
    Connie
  • Linda

This is just stunning, thank you! I really love the paint you chose, Did you say "Stock Black" from Sherwin Williams? Thanks

• Ktdonahue1

It's beautiful. I totally appreciate the work put in to make it so. Where are you and will you paint my furniture?