Question about spider plant

+24
I was told that if I get a spider plant start to just put it in a pot of dirt and then cover it with about an inch of dirt. Nothing is happening...why??

• Jan Jan on Apr 27, 2018
    did you cover the leaves.?
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 27, 2018
    Hmm, that should have worked. If you can get another piece, be sure there are air roots attached, place it in a glass of water until some little white roots appear, then plant that. It should work.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 27, 2018
    the entire cutting should had had root on the bottom and planted in potting soil.Is that what you did?
    • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
      There were no roots that I know of. I just planted the clipping in soil about an inch down and have not seen any sign of growth through the soil. Uhhh I always mess this stuff up
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
    I tried putting one in water to root but the leaves rotted off
  • Caroline Forwood Caroline Forwood on Apr 27, 2018
    I don't bury them? Just put root in soil.
  • COCO COCO on Apr 27, 2018
    a spider plant needs light to grow. Just stick in ends of roots after cutting from parent plant.
  • Jan Jan on Apr 27, 2018
    Oh Lord no! you just plant it up to the top of the roots water it once a week keep it moist. Wait a month to fertilize.
  • Jan Jan on Apr 27, 2018
    The leaves contain a pigment called chlorophyll, which colors theleaves green. Chlorophyll can make food the plant can use from carbon dioxide, water, nutrients, and energy from sunlight. ... During the process of photosynthesis, plants release oxygeninto the air. People and animals need oxygen to breathe
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Apr 27, 2018
    I've always had good luck just popping the runner in water. Once the roots take and get nice and established, then pot in soil and keep moist but not soaking wet

• Jan Jan on Apr 27, 2018
    plant it just to cover roots, filtered light to start .keep soil moist. don't fertilize for 3 wks.
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
    So I have to start over? How do I get it to root in water without the leaves rotting? Ahhh why is this so hard I have seen others do it and succeed why can't I?
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
    No. I put it in water to get a good root system but the leaves fell off all of them. More less rotted off.
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
    I'm so lost maybe this isn't for me. It sounds so hard. I'm doing something wrong If the leaves are rotting/falling off in water just to try to get a root system going.
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
    Oh going to cry so frustrated I really want a plant like this. I have a black thumb not a green one
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Apr 27, 2018
    I always hung a pot just below the big plant with good potting soil, and planted the roots in the pot. When I notice it is growing down the road, I cut it off from the mother plant. I would plant a number of them in the same pot and end up with another great potted spider plant when they matured. I do the same with the bigger strawberry runners each year to fill in my pots.
    no you needed to wait until they root before putting them in soil
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 27, 2018
    They shouldn't. Hmm, maybe the soil was wrong. Did you plant it deep, like maybe 2 or 3 inches? That way, roots should come out of the stem that's under the soil. Don't water too much, just moist. This is certainly a mystery to me. Try planting it deeper.
    • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
      I planted it about 3 to 5 inches if that. Should I unbury it and see what's up?
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Apr 27, 2018
    I root mine in water first.
    • Tonia Tonia on Apr 27, 2018
      The leaves when I do it rot and fall off I don't know why but I've tried that method 2x's.
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 28, 2018
    No, you would disturb any roots that are starting. If it still looks green, I'd leave it. If you can get a bunch of cuttings, I'd plant them. Something is bound to grow! They like indirect light, not sun light, and let the dirt dry out between waterings. See if this site helps: http://www.gardenloversclub.com/houseplants/spider-plant/growing-spider-plants/ Good luck:)
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 28, 2018
    So I messed up and have to do it over again
  • Tonia Tonia on Apr 30, 2018
    Thanks for all your help I hopefully can get a spider plant growing of my own. I'm looking forward to it. Everyone God bless and have a great summer.