Shabby Chic Burlap and Twine Planter

$10

This shabby chic burlap planter idea is a wonderful (and frugal) addition to any front porch or patio. It is simple, extremely inexpensive and absolutely adorable! Using burlap, twine and an old bucket, you can make a farmhouse-feel planter in under 15 minutes!
*For more frugal DIY decor ideas, farmhouse charm and backyard chickens, come see me here!*

Make sure your buckets are larger than your plant that you are potting. New buckets are not necessary as long as they are clean and free of any chemicals that may be harmful to your plant.
*Be sure to follow any specific repotting suggestions per your plant's instruction tag*
Drill holes into the bottom of your buckets for proper drainage.
No drill? No problem!
A hammer and a large nail could also be used here!
Wrap your burlap around your bucket and cut it to size. Because one bucket that I was using was blue (and burlap is a bit see through), I folded my burlap in half to cover the color. Tuck in any additional burlap up and over into the bucket.
I was a tad overzealous with the soil and began adding it a bit too soon. It is best to add the soil AFTER you have wrapped and tucked your burlap fabric around your bucket.
Wrap your twine along the top of your bucket a few times. There's really no wrong way to do this. Once it has the thickness and width you like, cut your twine and tie a bow (it's really that simple!)
Finally, add your potting soil and your plant!
I chose to add a bit of Spanish Moss as well to keep the soil moist and clean.
These planters are just too perfect! They are so easy. Anyone can do them and they are extremely versatile in decor!

Please follow me to see more of my decor ideas on my Insta page!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Katen

Wondering, I have made burlap wreaths for outside and they sun fade (didn’t see that coming). What if you put a finish on burlap to lessen sun damage? Wondering if you actually coat burlap with plaster or lightweight cement (could add dye also) and drape as shown in pix. My thought would be lasting all summer and may be another year or two. Weight could make base for Halloween thru Christmas decorations. Just thinking

• Brenda

They make a spray to make them waterproof I think they sell at Lowe's you may want to check on that okay hope it helps

• Chery Andrews

I need to know if that bucket and burlap idea would work for a small rose bush

• Karena Stetson

It would. You would have to bring it inside during the freezing temps though so the roots don’t freeze as the bucket doesn’t provide the insulation that the ground would.

• Pam

What type of plant did you use.

• Martha

I think that once the plant is watered the water, stained by the soil, will extend to the rest of the burlap staining it.

• Karla

What a great way to up cycle so saving the environment from more plastic. Does not seem Like it costs a lot of money. They look really cute. Great job 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼