How do I get rid of squirrels that are chewing my tulip blossoms off?

+4
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 28, 2018
    You can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It's about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Also, try feeding the squirrels in another area. Good luck!
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Apr 28, 2018
    Hi Helen,
    Click on the link below from Better Homes & Gardens to read about a few ways to stop squirrels from raiding your tulips. I learned from this article that squirrels can't smell but have to taste what we put on to repel them, so you may lose a few more before they "get it". :) Wishing you the best.
  • Tammy Tammy on Apr 29, 2018
    Answer this Hosmetalker's question!
  • Tammy Tammy on Apr 29, 2018
    We bought blood meal repellent from Home Depot..rabbits and squirrls both avoid it.
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Apr 29, 2018
    I buy inexpensive cayenne or red pepper flakes and sprinkle over my flowers but you have to do it almost daily until they stop coming around
  • Betsy Betsy on Sep 23, 2018

Hi Helen: If they are chewing on yourplants, spray them with a mixture of 3/4 water and 1/4 oil of clove (you can get it in the candy making section of the store, it's a bottle about 2 1/2 inches high and only costs a couple of bucks). Put this in a spray bottle and spray whatever you don't want chewed or clawed. Works for cats and dogs, too. Won't harm them, smells great, tastes terrible:( Good luck

• Get a bag of blood meal from the nursery, spread through garden. The squirrels don't like blood smell at all and it also is a mild fertilizer especially for bulbs