The Krafty Krone
The Krafty Krone
  • Ocklawaha, FL

Brown Paper Flooring...A Facelift For My Bedroom Floor

I share with you my journey of renovations, creative style...
brown paper flooring a facelift for my bedroom floor, bedroom ideas, diy, flooring, tile flooring
This is what the floor looked like the first time I walked in my house...ugh...
Buh-Bye peel and stick tile...
Let's get this party started!!!
Progress!!
Did I say that I LOVE progress!!!
All the paper is glued down and dry!!!
After 5 coats of Varathane Brand polyurethane, I'm calling this baby DONE!!! I love, Love, LOVE my new floor!!!! I gives such a warm feel to my bedroom!!!
The Krafty Krone

• Karen

Could you use the unprinted sides of grocery bags to save more money?

• The Krafty Krone

Yes definitely!!! I'm even considering trying different colored construction paper for my next project!!!

• Karen

Do you think grocery store paper bags would work to save even more money?

• Susan

AWESOME FLOOR. How did u lay the paper & cut it & how did u stick it on the floor before polyurethane

• The Krafty Krone

It's super easy, no cutting required! Just tear up the paper (save the straight edged pieces for the perimeter), ball it up, straighten it out and you can either dip it in your glue/water mixture or use a paint brush, I used the paint brush method. First I painted the floor where I was putting each piece, then painted over the top of the paper I laid down to coat the top with glue and to assist in flattening it out once it was down. I think the paint brush is less messy.

• Susan

Thank u so much for getting back to me - I'm definitely going to do this one . Thanks again

• RJ Baetig

I'm curious do you have to ball it up and crumple it or can you lay it out flat....

• Lisa Wuthrich

Can u mop it?

• Renae Toseff

what type of glue did you use?

• Katherine Jackson

Does the polyurethane last through mopping and if waxing is needed in a bathroom? Or do you you clean with a special solution?
    • Janice Phillips (JP)

I've found the treatment lasts through years of cleaning with a simple damp mop and water. No chemicals necessary to clean as the poly may become cloudy. You may wish to freshen up your surface after a while with a fresh coat of urethane. Good luck with your project.
  • Could i use texured or smooth wallpaper. I'd really like to do this project but i need a much lighter color floor. Any ideas
    • Brenda Benton

I had the same bright idea a few years ago when we pulled up the dirty carpet in our bedroom. I had this gorgeous wallpaper and I prepped the floor and glued the wallpaper down in strips as you would on the wall. I then started layers of polyurethane. Only thing was, there was no "tooth" as the wallpaper was slick. The polyurethane started splitting and coming up in large chunks. Oh well, so much for that idea. I THINK that IF I HAD scraped up the walllpaper so that the poly would have had something to grip to, that it MIGHT've worked!! I can't be sure though. Since then, my husband put laminate flooring down and it really looks nice. I did, however, leave it be (the wallpaper on the floor) in my master closet, and since it is not a high traffic area, it has stayed down very well.

Just thought I would share my two cents worth. Best of luck to you!!!
    • Matthew Beard

I am considering trying it with construction paper in my sons room and maybe cut some shapes into it. If I do I would likely only use 2-3 colors.
    • Steve Crandall

I've considered the construction paper idea. It seems like it would be a great way to develop a color scheme. I would love to know what you think of the results if you try it.

• Pam31694561

I too want to use this floor in my bathroom. Has anyone tried it in a bathroom? Is the floor slippery? Should any changes be made to the process? I intend to apply the paper and paint it, should still apply the poly, if so, what type?
    • Matthew Beard

If you do this in the bathroom you should add many layers of urethane and maybe even a stone sealer. But the sealer will darken the paper. You can get an anti slip sealer from miracle seal that would likely work.
  • Christina Jonas

Wow!!!! I’ve just come across your sire and this project, and I’ve renovating my first home for months here in Greece, completely upgrading an old 1964 building apartment, and though I’ve had rhe main woodwn floors redone, the entrance and hall area - typical for most apartments In Athens - have local marble. Worth a small fortune but was ignored over the years by previous owners, and doesnmt match the new feel of my house and the new floors elsewhere. Short of wasting money ripping it up unnecessarily, the only option I’ve had is getting laminate flooring, but none of the designs and colours in any store match or take my fancy for my home, and thanks you all, I believe I now have a new - and helpfully - much less expensive option that could look wonderful with a colour or wallpaper (?) I choose!!! So thank you first of all!! But my burning question, is: What exactly do I need to BUY (keep in mind I’m keen but inexperienced in a lot of DIY, though I do have great patience and pay attention to care and detail)?? In other words, I assume any craft paper or wall paper would actually do (without any sticky backing(?)).. what exactly is the type of glue firstly.. and then, if I was to paint white paper to a colour I liked, I do this when in the process? Is there a special type of paint? what glue stick paper or wall paper to marble? I use a woollen roller is that right? how do you make the glue even - do you mix it with water - do you do this with all glues?? what type of glue do i ask for or what does it look like? (again, in Greece, so nobody will understand this project so I need to know exactly what I’m going to have to get becore I go shopping because all the tradesmen will balk at me when they insist of asking why on earth I’d want to stick paper to marble.. (I already deal with enough gender stereotyping in my culture, I don’t need to be judged as some ‘stupid’ woman too..) and lastly, after I glue as I go, do I go over it all again with glue and then what.. varnish .. it?? Sorry for the long post, but I wouLd LOOOVE to do this and show them all just how much better I can do it myself!! :) (pretty please, help? :P )
    • Mewgrawr

From my understanding (I've only read a few articles on this today) is just any type of cheap glue that will dry clear. Here that would be elmer's glue or a generic brand of it. You would also need a stain in a color that you would like to change the colors of the bags to be most appealing to you (if you're not sure which type maybe check out Lowes.com here and find something that is similar there?) from my reading the brands don't really matter. After that you'll need to use a clear coat, most likely polyurethane. Good luck and I hope that you prove them wrong!