DIY Patio Table ( A Second Repurposed Placemat Project)

$7

Who knew those old cork backed placemats could be repurposed in so many different and creative ways?

I picked up three of them last year at a thrift store for just $1 each, then stowed them in my thrifted collection until I decided what to do with them. A couple of creative members of the blog's Facebook group gave me some suggestions and I've used them to make 3 fun projects.

diy patio table a second repurposed placemat project

So this is what I started with - a basic, faded, ho-hum cork backed placemat in serious need of some DIY love.

For this project, one of the members suggested I use it as the top for a patio or deck table. I thought that was a great idea!

I had a few ideas for a base - an existing table I could upcycle, a set of tall matching candle holders I could repurpose as legs, or a lamp needing a new purpose. A visit to my favorite thrift store yielded...NOTHING!

So I came back home and decided to look through my stash of thrifted treasures (which I should have just done in the first place). Again, nothing was clicking.

Then I remembered a tall candle stand I had found at the thrift store a couple months ago. I had planned to paint it, add a candle, and let it just continue on as a candle stand.

But the idea of using it as a patio table was getting pretty cozy in my mind and I decided to abandon my original plan and repurpose it instead.

I gave it a shot of fresh paint and set it aside to dry.

I decided to use a fabric cover for the top and had a perfect piece left over from another project.

After giving the surface of the placemat a light sanding and damp cleaning, I spread a layer of Mod-Podge on and smoothed it over the top and edges.

I gave it a second coat of Mod-Podge to seal both the fabric and the cork backing.

Back to the base...

I loved the idea of a pedestal base, but I wanted a bit more stability. I found a strip of wood in my husband's shop and cut it into a couple of strips.

After giving the strips a coat of matching paint, I glued them to the base.

Finally, I glued the top to the supports and after a 24-hour dry, I had a cute little patio table from made from a $1 cork backed placemat!

Although it's sealed with a top coat, I do plan to keep it in a covered area so it isn't exposed to direct rainfall. Summer thunderstorms can be brutal where we live.

Stop by the blog for more great thrift find projects and get your FREE Thrift Shopping Cheat Sheet with all the hacks for thrift shopping like a PRO!

To Work With My Hands

• Mary Valentine

Probably not but she mentioned an old lamp - too tall for a table - about 5' - I think I should repurpose it but what could I use it for? Any ideas?

• Annie

Hi you glued the two pieces of wood to the top of the candle holder which has a dip in it where did you put the glue and what glue did you use please

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Annie,

I put the glue along the edges of the piece that dips - so I basically made a ring of glue, but only where the wood pieces actually touch. If that doesn't make sense, please let me know.

And I used Gorilla Glue.

Hope this helps. If I can help any other way, please let me know. Thanks for asking. :)

• Barb C

The wood strips were enough to support the placemat as a tabletop?

• To Work With My Hands

Yes. Those placemats are pretty light. Rigid, but light. I don't put a lot of weight on it. I now have it indoors with a potted plant a littler larger than the one pictured above and it is holding up beautifully.

• Kim

An awesome idea! I have a bunch of stuff in my garage I know hold great repurpose value! Time to get to work! Thank you for the inspiration!

• To Work With My Hands

Hey Kim,

Yep...sounds like you have a great collection of supplies to work with. Glad to inspire! Have fun...

• Michele Morgan

This is absolutely gorgeous!! TYSM!