Asked on Apr 29, 2018

How do I get film off glasses which are washed in dishwasher?

Bon9434758Jan ClarkCaroline Forwood
+5

I have used dishwasher detergent with a rinse aid, have water softener and still have a film on my glasses? What can I do?
  • Dawn Gagnon
    Dawn Gagnon

I read you can use denture tablets for this. Let us know what you try😁
  • Sandra M. Willis
    Sandra M. Willis

Sometimes the polish has been taken off the glass from the chemicals and cannot be restored. The glass material is polished when the glass is manufactured.
  • Lynn
    Lynn

Hi Betty, when my dishwasher broke I started washing my dishes by hand and they started to clear up. Most likely because the hard water wasn’t standing on the glass and taking time to dry. I tried Finish with the red ball rinsing agent seemed to help. But try a load with vinegar. Spray the glasses first and put a cup or so in the bottom of your dishwasher before you start load. My have to repeat.
  • Barbara German
    Barbara German

Put some vinegar in your dishwasher...leaves glasses sparkling!
  • Caroline Forwood
    Caroline Forwood

Vinegar is supposed to work well to desolve water spots and calcium.
  • Jan Clark
    Jan Clark

If your glass items are going through the dishwasher a lot and have been for several months, what you may be seeing is not a film on the glass but the strong chemicals and solvents in the cleaners actually etching the glass (which does look like a film). If the above solutions, soaking in vinegar and scrubbing with baking soda or salt does not help, then you have your answer.
  • Bon9434758
    Bon9434758

I had the same issue with film on glasses and decided to check the filter at the bottom of the dishwasher. It came right out and was full of residue. I cleaned it in hot soapy water, soaked in white vinegar for a couple of hours,then brushed with a stiff brush. We then ran a dishwasher cleaner tablet product through a cycle without dishes. To clean up the previously cloudy glasses, I used a magic sponge. The next load of dishes came out
    great!