What flowers grow well in Texas soil?

+4
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Apr 29, 2018
    You want to pick plants that won't need a lot of watering. Also, I know soil varies depending on where you live. My family lived in Amarillo for generations, and my daughter did her Masters in El Paso. My grandmother always had a small flower bed next to her house, where it got some shade during the hottest part of the day. Look for native plants that are drought resistant. I used to love the Poinsettias and sunflowers that grew in Northern Texas. In El Paso, desert type landscaping was very popular. There was grass in areas, trees, and flowers, but, they took water and upkeep. The clever thing I saw was again, the use of areas that got less sun during part of the day. A local nursery will be a wealth of information.
  • MagnoliaMemories MagnoliaMemories on Apr 29, 2018
    Hi Madematty! Here is a great article by Southern Living. Happy Planting!
  • Teri Teri on Apr 30, 2018
    I agree with Cynthia. Go with native flowers and plants. I was told by a well known Horticulturist that Lantana was drought resistant. Not! It needs water just like any other flowering bush or plant. During a drought in East Texas, the Gardenias, Azaleas, Mountain Laurel showed little stress to the drought. Everything else just barely survived even though we watered them. I hope we don’t have to go through another one of those. There were forest fires all around us! Very scary!
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Apr 30, 2018
    Go to your local nursery. They only stock what grows well in your region.