Updating an Old Kitchen Cart

30K Views
My neighbor at the lake bought a new cabin and when I saw this old rusty cart, I held my breath when I asked her if she wanted it!
I was elated when she said, “Oh No!”
Time: 4 HoursCost: $15Difficulty: Medium
I’m thinking this is from the 50’s/60’s with the pink color.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
Here is a close up of the top. The bottom 2 shelves were not as rusty as this one.

• updating an old kitchen cart
It had a working plug in! I was so excited when I found this!
  • updating an old kitchen cart
I dismantled it so I could sand off the rust. I paid particular attention to how things came apart so t would be easier to put back together.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
I sprayed all of the metal shelves 3 times, spraying a light layer each time. I have found that it’s best to wait an hour in between spraying. If you wait longer, the layers can bubble up and your smooth finish is ruined.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
To spray the legs I put a wire through the screw hole and hung them up on a dowel. I had some large cardboard pieces that I used as a spray backdrop. This made it really easy to spray the leg all at once. They were silver already so it only took 2 times to get good coverage.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
After it was all dry I put it back together, (which was really easy!)
  • updating an old kitchen cart
We were using it at a table at the craft shows. We always need a place to hide our purses so I took this Velcro and some matching material and made a skirt for the bottom shelf.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
I also made it with slits so we could have easy access to whatever we put in the bottom.
  • updating an old kitchen cart
I added a long Ikea cabinet pull to hang Ikea bins from. The bins are on the 2nd shelf. We used this for the first time recently and it worked perfect. (I only hope my friend doesn’t want it back when she sees it!)

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 23, 2018 10:49 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.