Asked on Apr 30, 2018

What size planter should I use for a tomato plant and when should I pl

27524803Joy30150932Han11807599
+6

I am new to planting any type of vegetables

• KattywhampusLOL
    KattywhampusLOL

Marty, Good Morning :) This link should be agreat help to you ;) Thanks for sking HOmetalk for answers:

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns
    Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

I think a 12" wide pot, at least 12"-13" tall, should work.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I go to Home Depot and get the largest plastic pot they have. The tomato plants are large when they mature so they need to have a really large pot for healthy root growth and healthy productive plant. In pots, tomatoes need extra calcium to prevent blossom end rot. They cannot gather nutrients from the soil like when they are grown in the soil, so the soil in a pot gets depleted of nutrients quicker due to all the water they require. I found a spray on supplement you put on the leaves for quicker absorption into the plant vs putting in the soil for the roots to absorb. Any other fertilizer needs to go on the soil or you risk a beautiful plant and little fruit production. Use a fertilizer made for tomatoes and vegetables on all your vegetables. For other plants, you need to go with a size that will be healthy for the mature size of the plants. If you plant herbs, which is a good way to start since they are pretty easy to grow, I use ten to twelve inch pots and get really big healthy plants and lots of herbs to use in your cooking. Make sure all get plenty of sun, but expect in hot weather they may need daily watering, when it is real hot, I have found my tomato plant as it gets larger can take watering twice a day even. I hope this helps! Please ask more questions if you have any, we are here to help you so that you can get your veggies going and as a beginner, you may have many questions about what is happening with them that we can help you answer. There are many web sites you can go to for answers, too. Just ask the questions and we will help you, or at least find you a solution from the places we go to for answers. Have fun with your veggies!
  • Han11807599
    Han11807599

Something at least 5 gallon size, or larger, & never let the soil get too dry with tomato plants.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Try using a five gallon plastic pail. I spray paint mine. Put about three holes on the sides about 3 inches up from the bottom. The space at the bottom of the pail will act like a reservoir so the plants do not dry out so quickly.
  • 27524803
    27524803

Plastic pots are fine in areas where sun does not effect them... try a metal trash can... inexpensive and lasts in the sun and heat.... just drill holes in the bottom for drainage.