Preventing theft in front yard

+12
I would like to add flower pots and furniture in my front yard but I have experienced theft in the past. Any suggestions?

• Ireland Dowling Ireland Dowling on Apr 30, 2018
    What a sad thing, huh?! The same has happened to me. I ended up getting a nice security camera set up. If that's not in your budget, you can always use whats called a walkway alarm. They cost about $15- at Walmart. So when anyone wanting to steal from you, walk up into your yard, it sounds a loud bell/alarm. Or you can buy sensor lights that light up super bright when anyone enters your yard. They also have fake cameras out there that serve as more of an deterrent. Good luck! =D
  • Andra Andra on Apr 30, 2018
    Arg! Isn't this frustrating?! I've had windchimes and even a hammock stolen from my front yard as well. What ended up deterring the 'bad guys' on a second attempt to steal the replacement hammock was, of all things, a gun trigger lock! This is small enough to not interfere with the hammock itself (no bulky log clanging about). The chain has a coating on it, which allows it to be flexible but really difficult to cut!
    Too bad we can't add a bug zapper that is conditioned for sneaky thief hands, eh?! ;)
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Apr 30, 2018
    Theft is usually a crime of opportunity. Make it inconvenient to slow them down. For furniture, I would put in one of those dog tie out stakes that spirals deep into the ground. Then chain your furniture to it with a bike lock. For flower pots, use heavy ones. Just make it difficult for anyone to steal. Then start a neighborhood watch group! 😂
  • What does this say about our society? So so sad. Porch pirates are everywhere. How about motion lights? I have had them for years, mostly for creeping creatures of the night. Every neighborhood watch meeting I have ever attended, lighting up your house was the number one deterrent - they will choose a dimly lit house with overgrown foliage first. There is a vast array of home security systems and cameras - many can be controlled with a smartphone if you are so inclined. Even fake cameras could be a deterrent. Here are a few sites with some interesting suggestions. See what works best for you and your budget.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 30, 2018
    Use heavy spikes and tie every thing down with that .Once they see it is not that easy perhaps they will stop.
  • Lisa Fyock Lisa Fyock on Apr 30, 2018
    What I did, I put a little sign saying SMILE YOUR ON CAMERA!!!

• Lsherbach Lsherbach on Apr 30, 2018
    how about a motion detector spotlight. They are not too expensive and you can install yourself. As a matter of fact, there are some that screw into an existing light receptical
    You are so welcome!