Bright & Cheerful Lawn Furniture Makeover

$15

I picked up an old black set of wrought iron lawn furniture for cheap knowing we could make it look great with a few cans of spray paint. The question was should it be black as it was originally or some other color?!

LOL, I always say never be afraid to try something different!
bright cheerful lawn furniture makeover
If it has pitted rusty areas you should use a wire brush on it. You'll need mineral spirits to wipe down the furniture thoroughly. And spray paint, don't forget the spray paint! I always have lots of colors on hand but went to the store to see what new colors were available.
bright cheerful lawn furniture makeover
Since I'd decided to go with a more cheerful color I tried a few different colors on the tops of the chairs. Realizing more then one color might be the way to go I narrowed it down to to 5 colors.
bright cheerful lawn furniture makeover
The best thing to do is use cardboard to spray on if you have some. Use slow even strokes back and forth across top, bottom and sides.
bright cheerful lawn furniture makeover
We went with a lime green table color and blue, orange, pink, yellow chairs. We had the umbrella and luckily it matched well. So even though everything is a different color it really came together to give us a bright cheerful summery look!

For the price of some spray paint you can make any yard sale lawn furniture look as good as or better then it was when new!

• Virginia

What is the purpose of the mineral spirits? I need to paint some metal( not rusty) & I'm trying to figure a way to do it without sanding down but so that paint will stick. Thanks

• Robyn Garner

Rustoleum has long had spray products made for metal. Other than sanding gloss down as Paperdoll says and washing up, I've never used (or read on the can) any other need for prep.

• Judy Kelsey

Can you do this on plastic chairs? If so, what kind of paint?

• Diane Wahl

Rust-oleum 2X works great on plastic. This is what the cans look like. It only takes 1 coat.

• Jjqq

So is there no sealant required over the paint? Does it hold up well to rain and snow? I'm really getting bored with our black patio set, and would love to paint, but also concerned about how the paint will stand up to the elements.

• Robyn Garner

My parents had sets like this for decades. Dad never needed to do any excessive prep (just wash well & dry) unless he needed to wire brush a tiny bit of rust. Use Rustoleum for exterior metal and it will last fine! Touch up just as needed - maybe once every 5 years or so.

• Darla

Great, bright and cheerful.

• Orange Door

Yes, you can use it on plastic. I bought some plastic chairs and tables at Goodwill an used spray paint to create a beautiful set. Sorry no photo available. Spray paint some of your plastic plant holders to match or contrast!