Trio Tea Cup Bird Feeder

$20

Make this fun bird feeder using vintage tea cups and cedar fence boards.
trio tea cup bird feeder
In an afternoon I brought the memories of these neat tea cups to life and transformed them into a bird feeder the birds are absolutely loving.

This project will take about 2 hours to complete and does include several different steps. Overall it's pretty easy and if you don't have access to tea cups I'm sure you can find a few at the thrift store.
trio tea cup bird feeder
Take one Cedar Fence board and cut into the following measurements.
  • Two at 2 feet - These are the side walls
  • Three at 7 inches - these are the shelves.

Once cut sand and stain with any color you choose. I used Dixie Belle Gel stain, colors are Tobacco Road and Bayou Moss and blend nice with nature allowing the tea cups to be the focus of the project.

Links for this paint can be found on my blog here.

Stain by squirting on the gel and rubbing it into the wood using a rag...
This will dry pretty quick and while that's happening we move over to drilling the saucers.
trio tea cup bird feeder
For this step we're going to use a Diamond head drill bit.
  1. First set the saucer onto a towel or heavy-duty rag.
  2. Spray with WD 40 and mix in some water.
  3. Begin drilling in the center and once completed there will be a hole, clean off residue and repeat the process with the next two.

NOTE: Drill slow to keep from breaking....
trio tea cup bird feeder
Now let's move back over to the wood, now we're ready to connect the box frame using a hammer and finishing nails.

• Begin by connecting the side walls to the bottom shelf from the outside.
  • Connect the rest of the walls 8 inches a apart from both sides leaving the top open.
  • Next drill two holes at the top on each side for the ribbon hanger we'll add last.
trio tea cup bird feeder
Back to the tea cups we insert one saucer to each shelf using a hand screw driver and slowly tighten with a screw until secure but don't over do it because tea cups can break when pressure is applied.

I used a a Sticky Seal tape ( looks like gray gum) to secure the tea cups. This also makes adding bird seed a breeze...
trio tea cup bird feeder
Finally we add ribbon of your choice for the hanger and a few other ribbon tie offs for flair.

The birds are loving this feeder and I hope you enjoyed this fun project.

Estimated cost for this project will vary - I already had most of my supplies so it was minimal here. If starting from scratch it could add up pretty quick.

Get more fun projects  like this here...
Garden Up Green - Carole

• Leslie

Can you please give the name of the "sticky seal tape" ? It looks more like a putty in your photo. This is a very nice project thank you for sharing :)

• Leslie

AHHHH, Thank you Carole. I know what it is and I don't know the name of it either lol. Thank you so much for describing it :)

• Reba Klockgether

What about squirrels? I have lots of them!

• Michael

Yes, or enlist the help of a squirrel chasing dog!

• Cara Perkins

Don't they fill up with water?

• Heather Witt

I wonder if it could be covered with a cute metal or water proof “awning”. Maybe a thrifted enameled tray instead of corrugated metal since that has sharp edges? My daughter has an “easy bake oven” she has outgrown and I have the little metal trays to that I may just give it a roof when I try this! Great idea and thanks for the birdie info!

• Linda Premo

So so very super duper cute😃😃😃

• Heather Witt

Love this! I have been on a thrifting kick making garden stands/planters/birdbath/birdfeeders from teacups, mugs and plates and you’ve just given me a new project!! Here are a flower my mom made, and the planter stand I made her back!