Stain-Over-Paint Table Top

$40

I wanted to create a beautiful, woodsy, swirly table top to match a hanging quilt, and I wanted to try painting a picture using wood stain, but I ran into the following issues:

1. We were having inclement weather so I couldn’t work outside;
2. Wood stain fumes + spray paint fumes + indoors + asthma = no breathing;
3. Breathing is somewhat necessary for survival and do-it-yourself projects. :)

So, what to do??

I

stain over paint table top, Spray paint with the help of our goats
Spray paint (with the help of our goats).
During the past 7 years, we have lived in 3 states and 2 countries (including 3 years overseas doing Christian missionary work). That meant a lot of moving trucks and storage units for our stuff. The glass top on this little patio set did not survive, but the metal frame and chair were still in good shape. A break in the rain (and a gas mask — haha) provided the opportunity to apply a coat or two of Rust-Oleum 2X white spray paint. This spruced up the set nicely.
stain over paint table top, Table top purchased from Amazon
Table top purchased from Amazon
Okay ... I splurged, but I have no regrets. :) Most of you would have been able to find a spool or some scrap wood to use for a table top, but, alas, I cheated and bought this 30” piece of sanded, unfinished pine wood from Amazon.
stain over paint table top, A blank slate
A blank slate
It arrived in beautiful condition. The perfect blank slate! :)
stain over paint table top, Using a picture as a color guide
Using a picture as a color guide
I took a picture of the quilt I made (using pre-cut quilt squares from WalMart) and printed it out to help me design the table top and choose the colors.
stain over paint table top, Pencil sketch
Pencil sketch
Using an ordinary pencil, I tried to duplicate the flowers on the quilt, making them big and bold to balance the large surface area of the table top. I used a stencil for some small details.
stain over paint table top
Note that pencil sketches on wood are easily erased. This was helpful when trying to draw free hand. BTW ... egg cartons work great for mixing paint!

stain over paint table top
Using Apple Barrel acrylic paint — Melted Chocolate— I created a fume-free “stain” by significantly diluting the paint about 5:1 with water.
stain over paint table top
Here is the cool effect achieved with my “wash”. Note that the pencil marks are still visible to serve as a guide for painting.
stain over paint table top
Here I painted the design using acrylic craft paint in predominantly muted earth tones. I added splashes of red and green to match the quilt.
stain over paint table top
Okay, I caved .... I ended up using stain. :) The weather broke so I was able to take the project outside. I went over the entire table with one coat of Minwax Golden Oak stain. This was followed by two coats of Minwax polyurethane.
stain over paint table top
As you can see, the stain did not cover over the painted design. It simply added a transparent, antique finish, especially over the lighter colors. I loved it!!

I believe that this same effect could have been closely achieved using the acrylic paint “wash” illustrated above if you chose not to use stain.
stain over paint table top
It’s a little difficult to see because the sunshine is literally pouring into my sun room ...
... but the table top has repurposed my worn patio set and made a cute companion to my hanging quilt.

Key takeaways —

*You can stain wood using diluted acrylic paint

*You can stain directly over a painted design
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 01, 2018 11:07 PM - More info
Scarlett Butler

3 questions on this project
  • How did you keep the top on the table legs. I have one also had a glass top. Once I inherited it the glass didn’t last long. I want to do something like this but I can’t figure out how to keep it connected.

• Scarlett Butler
      Jun 20, 2018

Hi Alisa, I’m having some trouble with that myself. First I used some modeling clay on top of the metal legs so that the table top could be made nice and level. Then, when that dried, I used some adhesive on top of the modeling clay. This has helped to keep the table top somewhat stable, but there would be no way to pick up the table by its top. I’m open to any ideas how to get metal to stick to wood. :)

• Wwhere did you use the rounds?

• MsF31742710
    May 03, 2018

OMG, this table is gorgeous, and these are the perfect colors for the kitchen in the house we are fixing up! Can you tell me the specific color names, especially for the "red," green, and shades of taupe in the flowers? Thanks so much!