Tables Are Tops Challenge

$35

For my tabletop challenge, I decided to try my hand at a mosaic. After researching multiple options I chose to use flat back gems. Because this was my first mosaic project, I decided to go with basic colors and design. I began with a small bedside table that could be used for family photos, a small plant, or just as a focal piece. I began by outlining my design. I must admit that I made several changes
tables are tops challenge
After finding the right design, I began the tedious process of gluing the gems to the table. I used Loctite Super Glue to make sure the gems adhered properly. Other adhesives had strong fumes and I was working inside. The Loctite had low fumes and bonded quickly.
tables are tops challenge
After the gems were glued, it was time to grout. The gems were placed so that there would be enough space for the grout to settle between them.
tables are tops challenge
For convenience, I used a white pre-mixed grout.
tables are tops challenge
The grout was of a smooth consistency and easy to work with. I used my bare hands to spread it and had no problems.
tables are tops challenge
After wiping the excess grout away, the remaining grout had to season for 48-hours. After 48-hours had passed, I sealed it with Grout & Tile Sealer. This is what the table looked like after 48-hours.
tables are tops challenge
After the sealer was applied, I allowed it to dry before buffing the gems.Now I'm ready for my grand presentation.
tables are tops challenge
This is my tabletop challenge - I present to you, Le défi de Gloria.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 11:46 PM - More info

• Lil3779157

yes. beautiful table. Can I do this for outside table. And if it get wet is going to last for outside. help!!!!! please Thanks

• Karen

I agree with the grout for the outdoor use. Depending on where you live some of the materials I have seen say that they may crack below certain temps. In my area of San Diego County we go below 30 degrees in Jan and Feb and over 100 in July and Aug so we get extremes so sealers are needed. I will try a few out and post outcomes perhaps. See how each holds up.

Thank you for the step by step pics and info. This is what I need!

• Jackie

Where do you get the mosaic tiles from and how many? Thank You

• Tallahassee Girl

If you need a lot of gems I would look to Amazon. Better to have too many than not enough.

• Karen

Is that just a piece of wood for the table top? Thanks!