Tables Are Tops Challenge

36K Views
For my tabletop challenge, I decided to try my hand at a mosaic. After researching multiple options I chose to use flat back gems. Because this was my first mosaic project, I decided to go with basic colors and design. I began with a small bedside table that could be used for family photos, a small plant, or just as a focal piece. I began by outlining my design. I must admit that I made several changes before I found the right design.
Time: 7 DaysCost: $35Difficulty: Medium
  • tables are tops challenge
After finding the right design, I began the tedious process of gluing the gems to the table. I used Loctite Super Glue to make sure the gems adhered properly. Other adhesives had strong fumes and I was working inside. The Loctite had low fumes and bonded quickly.
  • tables are tops challenge
After the gems were glued, it was time to grout. The gems were placed so that there would be enough space for the grout to settle between them.
  • tables are tops challenge
For convenience, I used a white pre-mixed grout.
  • tables are tops challenge
The grout was of a smooth consistency and easy to work with. I used my bare hands to spread it and had no problems.
  • tables are tops challenge
After wiping the excess grout away, the remaining grout had to season for 48-hours. After 48-hours had passed, I sealed it with Grout & Tile Sealer. This is what the table looked like after 48-hours.
  • tables are tops challenge
After the sealer was applied, I allowed it to dry before buffing the gems.Now I'm ready for my grand presentation.
  • tables are tops challenge
This is my tabletop challenge - I present to you, Le défi de Gloria.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 16, 2018 10:39 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.