Tables Are Tops Challenge

$35

For my tabletop challenge, I decided to try my hand at a mosaic. After researching multiple options I chose to use flat back gems. Because this was my first mosaic project, I decided to go with basic colors and design. I began with a small bedside table that could be used for family photos, a small plant, or just as a focal piece. I began by outlining my design. I must admit that I made several changes before I found the right design.
After finding the right design, I began the tedious process of gluing the gems to the table. I used Loctite Super Glue to make sure the gems adhered properly. Other adhesives had strong fumes and I was working inside. The Loctite had low fumes and bonded quickly.
After the gems were glued, it was time to grout. The gems were placed so that there would be enough space for the grout to settle between them.
For convenience, I used a white pre-mixed grout.
The grout was of a smooth consistency and easy to work with. I used my bare hands to spread it and had no problems.
After wiping the excess grout away, the remaining grout had to season for 48-hours. After 48-hours had passed, I sealed it with Grout & Tile Sealer. This is what the table looked like after 48-hours.
After the sealer was applied, I allowed it to dry before buffing the gems.Now I'm ready for my grand presentation.
This is my tabletop challenge - I present to you, Le défi de Gloria.

• Tracy Lynn

What kind of tabletop are you gluing the gems to? Is it cardboard? I have coffee table that is made out of wood. My husband's grandfather made it. This would be such a nice idea to spruce it up. It's just plain and blah now. Would I use the same glue and the other materials, the same as you used? I'd hate to totally ruin the table!!!!

Yours looks amazing!

• Tallahassee Girl

Hi Tracy, Thank you. The table top is just an inexpensive particle board. I would be hesitant to use anything of value or with sentimental value because the mosaic pattern is permanent.

• Delicia Cavazos Pierce

How did you attach the table skirt? And did you attach it before or after you placed the beads?

• Tallahassee Girl

It's just a little pre-made skirt from Amazon. It already has adhesive and Velcro for attaching. I did use my glue gun to secure it to the table better. I attached it after all the dirty work was done.

• Joyce

I am so inspired ! This is totally beautiful ! How would this work for an outdoor table ? A storm broke the top of my glass-topped table. I already have outdoor plywood cut to replace the top, but it needs more. This would really work for me.

• Tallahassee Girl

Hi Deborah,

If I understand your comment correctly, you are concerned about your circle being even around the edges. Well, the spacing between the stones can be forgiving. Also, I drew my pattern first then laid my gems out to make sure they would fit. Peace be unto you.

• Melissa

I would love to try this! Your table is beautiful!!!! Can I do this on a glass top table?