Use Hollow Core Doors for Home Decor

$40

A few years ago my husband and I wanted to create some over-sized art to add a pop of color to our home decor. We priced out canvases and decided they were too expensive. At a trip to Home Depot, we spotted plain hollow core doors and a decision was made! These would be our “canvases” . My husband got creative with paint and made Jackson Pollack inspired art pieces. This time I tried a different way to use them!
use hollow core doors for home decor
I began this project by sanding the edges of my door and painting it with a high gloss white paint.  I used a roller good for smooth finishes.  The doors I used for this project were 30″ x 80″ unfinished hollow core doors which are available at most home warehouse stores.  
use hollow core doors for home decor
I eventually applied two coats of paint to my door.  For this project it was unnecessary to paint the back of my door.  
use hollow core doors for home decor
Time for the magic!  I used this tropical leaves on a pink background wallpaper.  I attached the wallpaper per the instructions that came with it.  The wallpaper was 18″ wide and I chose to add it as a stripe up the middle of the door as opposed to covering the entire door, which would have also been an option. 
use hollow core doors for home decor
I wrapped the wallpaper over the ends of the doors for a tidy finish to them.  
use hollow core doors for home decor
Time to attach my doors to the wall above the twin beds in the room I am re-decorating for my granddaughters.  There are numerous ways to attach the doors to the wall.  I rested my doors on the floor and since my exterior walls are concrete block I used a heavy duty Velcro with adhesive.  “L” brackets would work for this also, especially if you wanted to raise your doors up higher on the wall.  
use hollow core doors for home decor
When I made the bed in coordinating linens, the door takes on the look of a headboard.  This was just the look I was going for and I can’t say enough about how easy these hollow core doors are to work with.

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Barbara Brookie White

Excellent idea! Do you think the doors would hold up for an outdoor sign?

• John

Use exterior paint for your base paint, two coats over whole door.

After sign is made put clear finish on whole door, I would put two coats here also.

• Sherris

How about cutting the door in half first?

• Robyn Garner

You can cut it and not have to be overly precise in finishing off the cut end - could even leave as is - IF you hang it so the cut end is at the top above eye level.

• Carol

I have a CA king bed. Thinking of doing this length wise and making a headboard.

• Jane Briggs

I have used hollow core doors for years. I have made frames for them and used them for storage storage shelves, put eye bolts and eye hooks to use them for temporary room dividers, used them for a desk top with two night stands with a glass to protect the top, and at present time I am using them for my craft room countertops in an L shape over the top of two wicker dressers with an area to set up my sewing machine. I use the 22” X 80” and I used two leftover legs from a old desk to end the door for my sewing chair end. These doors are pretty cheap and can be painted, stained, contact papered, wallpapered, decoupaged or covered in material for a wall hanging. They are amazingly strong as I never had one fail when used as shelves or a desk top. I have used them over again repurposing them for years!

• Kat