Simple DIY Jewelry Organizer

$15

This is a much less complicated version of my Painted Serape Jewelry Organizer on Girls Build Club blog. For this jewelry holder, all you need is a board and some furniture upholstery nails. This easy project is simple but stunning and gets your jewelry on display and organized in no time!
simple diy jewelry organizer
With this jewelry holder I wanted to be able to hang my earrings on the top row of nail heads and my necklaces and bracelets on the bottom row. Of course, it doesn't have to be a jewelry holder. This would also make a great entryway key holder.
simple diy jewelry organizer
In order to prep my board for staining I first sanded it down briefly with 100 grit sandpaper. Sanding will remove any mill glaze that may keep your stain from absorbing.
simple diy jewelry organizer
I applied the stain wiped off the excess almost immediately. I love the stain color Honey by Minwax. It's my current favorite! I let it dry overnight so it wouldn't be tacky to handle while I finished the project.
simple diy jewelry organizer
Next I assembled my supplies for the fun part - hammering in the decorative upholstery nails! I used small upholstery nails for the top row and larger nails for the bottom row. You can find these at any major craft store like, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or Joann Fabrics. Check out my blog post at GirlsBuildClub.com for links to the exact nails and exact stain I used.
simple diy jewelry organizer
I weighted the ruler down on my board where I wanted the top row of nails to be. Then, starting at 1 inch from the side edge I began pushing in a nail every 2 inches.
simple diy jewelry organizer
Then I did the bottom row of upholstery nails, starting at 2 inches from the side edge, I pushed a nail in every 2 inches. This way the top and bottom rows of upholstery nails were staggered. After they were all in place I went back with my hammer and tapped them in far enough to feel secure. Don't hammer them in too far because you need them to stick out far enough to be able to hang something on the nail heads.
simple diy jewelry organizer
That's it! Pretty easy, right?! I think it's simple but kind of sophisticated looking.
simple diy jewelry organizer
Test it out with some jewelry or key rings you want to keep handy. Don't forget to check out my blog post for more pictures and detailed instructions. No time to attempt this right now? Pin it for later! Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to see your version of this project and hear how it went for you. :)

Girls Build Club

• Melissa V

How did you hang this up? I don’t want it flopping around while I’m using it.

• Girls Build Club

Hi Mary,

Yes! The mineral spirits are simply for cleaning up oil based stain if you had any spills or want to clean your brushes for reusing. Thanks for the question!

• Mary Njus

Great project for a daughter and father to make for mom this Mothers Day! If she has jewelry or keys she’ll Love it! And use it. She can hang that macaroni necklace all moms have. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

• Girls Build Club

Great idea! I like your comment about putting keys on it. I've been meaning to take new photos of it with different things hanging, not just the jewelry! thank, Mary!

• Afs11318456

I hate to be the buzz kill but I design jewelry and if you put sterling silver on the nails or tacks it will tarnish quickly. Painting them with clear nail polish should slow that down. Or paint the earrings. Non sterling earrings can also tarnish. Some fabric stores carry non tarnish fabric that is often used to line drawers for sterling silverware etc. If you find it, it’s usually $12/ yd. Hancock Fabric used to carry it.

• Afs11318456

That polish idea also works on the posts of earrings that aren’t gold/silver and make your ears irritated!

Anything to keep the metals from touching..even wrapping string or yarn will save your jewelry and skin!