Eileen
Eileen
  • Harrisburg, PA

Making a Heavy Duty Folding Garage Workbench

$150

If you’re a DIY’er, having a garage workbench is a necessity. But if you‘re like most people, you have to compromise with space in order to also fit your car. Well here’s a solution that gives you the best of both worlds - a large heavy duty workbench that folds flat against the wall to allow your car to fit.
3D model showing my workbench unfolded
3D model showing my workbench unfolded
As with many of my projects, I constructed my workbench virtually using a 3D modeler (TinkerCad). This allowed me to fine tune all the aspects before cutting a single piece of wood.
Here‘s the workbench in it’s folded state.
When I was happy with my 3D model, I began construction. I first started with the table top. I used 2x8 and 2x4 planks, joined with wood glue and pockethole screws.
making a heavy duty folding garage workbench
For additional strength, I reinforced the table top with some perpendicular 2x4 supports underneath.
Next I worked on the folding legs that would swing away from the wall to rest the table top on. I joined wood planks with more wood glue and pocket hole screws. I also notched a 45 degree cut to give my legs more room underneath to move around.
Next I attached some 2x4 mounts to wall studs. The floating legs and table top would attach to these mounts with various hinges.
i attached the 3 legs to the wall mounts with heavy duty door hinges (3 hinges per leg).
Next I attached the table top to the wall mounts with some heavy duty gate hinges.
The workbench was practically complete at this point. For a finishing touch, I beveled the tabletop edges with my router.
The folding workbench is now completed and ready for DIY action.
Here it is folded up so I can park my car in the garage.
Eileen

• Bob

I can see this being used in a small kitchen as a work top or table if scaled down . Nice :>

• RichandTammy Whiteside

This is a seriously awesome idea that could be used for more than just the garage. Thanks so much for sharing!