Making a Heavy Duty Folding Garage Workbench

$150

If you’re a DIY’er, having a garage workbench is a necessity. But if you‘re like most people, you have to compromise with space in order to also fit your car. Well here’s a solution that gives you the best of both worlds - a large heavy duty workbench that folds flat against the wall to allow your car to fit.
3D model showing my workbench unfolded
As with many of my projects, I constructed my workbench virtually using a 3D modeler (TinkerCad). This allowed me to fine tune all the aspects before cutting a single piece of wood.
Here‘s the workbench in it’s folded state.
When I was happy with my 3D model, I began construction. I first started with the table top. I used 2x8 and 2x4 planks, joined with wood glue and pockethole screws.
For additional strength, I reinforced the table top with some perpendicular 2x4 supports underneath.
Next I worked on the folding legs that would swing away from the wall to rest the table top on. I joined wood planks with more wood glue and pocket hole screws. I also notched a 45 degree cut to give my legs more room underneath to move around.
Next I attached some 2x4 mounts to wall studs. The floating legs and table top would attach to these mounts with various hinges.
i attached the 3 legs to the wall mounts with heavy duty door hinges (3 hinges per leg).
Next I attached the table top to the wall mounts with some heavy duty gate hinges.
The workbench was practically complete at this point. For a finishing touch, I beveled the tabletop edges with my router.
The folding workbench is now completed and ready for DIY action.
Here it is folded up so I can park my car in the garage.

Eileen

• Bob

I can see this being used in a small kitchen as a work top or table if scaled down . Nice :>

• RichandTammy Whiteside

This is a seriously awesome idea that could be used for more than just the garage. Thanks so much for sharing!