Time for Change

$18

This unused fireplace has been overlooked for years, it was time to make a change - nothing structural - just a new look.
time for change
One evening I sat staring at the fireplace and realised that over the last 10 years or so, it has looked the same - the colour of the walls and the painting that was commissioned for this space, has been in that position since day one. The only items that did get rotated or changed with others, were the few things in front of the fire screen.
I looked around my home for items long forgotten, what left over paint I had etc. - things that could be regenerated to make this much needed change.
time for change
The next morning everything was removed - the picture had been done on a piece of pre-cut hard board, not fixed to the wall so it was just a matter of taking it down, wrapping it up and putting it away. And there was this very bland wall!

time for change
I found a small tin (about 1 gallon) of left over dark blue paint and started in the middle, painting the alcove only, in case the paint ran out...
time for change
As if by magic, there was enough paint to cover the whole area.
Note: I do not particularly like painting and any professional would have had much to say about the type of brushes, strokes, lack of area preparation and  the time I was doing it - after 9PM.
time for change
The steel surround of the fireplace was discoloured, faded and just not nice, very obvious against the new wall colour. This is an unused fireplace, so I thought: no risk of fire - using shoe polish would be ok - also, I didn't have the any black paint.
time for change
Took the shoe brush and buffed the polish - happy with the result.

time for change
A dear friend recently surprised me with this ceramic rose gold skull and I "bedazzled " it with sequins and beads, using wood glue. I have seen these on social media and they are delicately painted with patterns, or have flowers stuck on them - I wanted to try it.

time for change
Had to wait for the glue and paint to properly dry, but decided on the position for the skull and drilled the wall for the plug and screw anyway, using the envelope trick to catch the dirt ... was shown this by a builder who knows these things...
time for change
Already had these artificial twigs so it was just tied up with a ribbon. The porcupine quills were picked up during a visit to a game farm years ago, and I placed it in a zebra striped pottery cup. These items were placed on the sill of the alcove.
time for change
The skull was hung, surrounded by an old picture frame that I tacked onto the wall with No More Nails, the fire screen was removed and pot plants put inside the fire place.
Depending on the season - the plants can be changed up with fresh flowers, logs, bleached pine cones, fairy lights or whatever else I feel like.

• Rose P

What color is that in person? It looks like a teal on my computer, I really like it.

• Dpbeee2

I cannot help admiring the beautiful table cover. My mom used to crochet things like that. May I ask where you acquired it?

• Dpbeee2

Thank you for responding. That makes the table cover precious. I still have a few doily ones from my late mom too. May you use yours in good health. 🌈

• Penny-Marie

What's the wall plug for that's listed in the resources? I don't see it mentioned in the instructions.

• Andra Van Der Westhuizen

Hello-Penny-Marie, I'm not quite sure what that's doing there... I think my list may have been lost in translation - in S.A. a wall plug is a screw casing for the screw that goes in the wall - and that was used to hook the horns on.

Thanks for pointing it out.