Adele DuranGO
Adele DuranGO
  • Tutorial Team
  • Bayfield, CO

Spotlights With Stained-Glass Flair

$85

I wanted to redirect the lighting in my hallway to spotlight some art and special features.
So I bought a 3-LED ceiling light to do that.
It was blinding bright and not very focused.
Yikes! What to do?

Disclaimer: According to research, LED bulbs are very unlikely to pose any fire risk as they don't get hot enough to be flammable. Please do your own research before replicating this project or trying a similar solution.

spotlights with stained glass flair
Here it is installed in my hall ceiling. I have a door, a pedestal and an artwork I'd like to spotlight.
When you turn this on -- the light is blinding. Take my word for it, the photographs were just a FLARE!
spotlights with stained glass flair
After a LOT of experimenting... my hubby and I used these objects to solve the problem.
spotlights with stained glass flair
We discovered that the caps on our clear paint-spray cans were the same diameter as the light fixture... AND they would diffuse the light, spread it more evenly.
spotlights with stained glass flair
We rolled thick art paper into tight tubes around the caps -- trying different lengths to determine best distribution of light.

Glowing light sabers on the ceiling.
Glowing light sabers on the ceiling.
The lights became tolerable to view and could be directed toward the art.
Okay... but not great.
BTW: We also tried metal and tube socks and other solutions.
Paper had the greatest creative flexibility. Sturdy enough to make shades, removable for cleaning too.
I remembered a scarf I had draped over my bedroom light for romantic oo-la-la. It's colors blend perfectly with our home and remind me of the stained glass I use to accent throughout the place.
spotlights with stained glass flair
I cut the scarf into 3 equal pieces and stitched it around the tube. I can crinkle it for texture and interest. BTW: 100 stitches per tube.
spotlights with stained glass flair
I cut the metal strip into 3 bands and wrapped each band around a jar to give it a spring-like curve.
spotlights with stained glass flair
I inserted the metal ring into the end of the tube to hold the fabric and give a more finished look.
spotlights with stained glass flair
Much Better!
spotlights with stained glass flair
TaDa!
spotlights with stained glass flair
Now I can direct the lighting toward the three places I wish to spotlight.
1) The petrified-wood pedestal with my daughter's wood carving above it.
2) a layered wood, pastel & charcoal torso shown in frame 5
3) a stained glass panel I will inset next week into the door coming up from the studio...

See ya after!

• Dir27382657

Did you install a dimmer also?

• Adele DuranGO

Not yet. I like that the home-made extension tube allows us to direct the light a bit better and give us a stained glass effect. If the lighting needs dimming, we'll install a dimmer, too. THANKS

• Walter Bercarich

Let us know when the fabric burns up from the heat of the bulbs or the plastic starts to melt? That may look nice, but not a good idea. Put a smoke detector in that room near the lights.

• Linda

You Dum Dum! Lol  . Read ALL the instructions, THAT is explained.

• Gayle Marie Jones

The covered lights look SO MUCH better I than the why fixture would have appeared in the space. Now the lighting is an intentional piece of art! Really great idea!

• Michele Morgan

I'm not trying to be rude but what are you trying to say? The "I than the why fixture" part is throwing me off. I know my moms Kindle is always changing words on her so I have to try and figure her messages out sometimes too. Thanks.

• Lynn

Love this idea, very funky and artistic