Spotlights With Stained-Glass Flair

$85

I wanted to redirect the lighting in my hallway to spotlight some art and special features.
So I bought a 3-LED ceiling light to do that.
It was blinding bright and not very focused.
Yikes! What to do?

Disclaimer: According to research, LED bulbs are very unlikely to pose any fire risk as they don't get hot enough to be flammable. Please do your own research before replicating this project or trying a similar solution.

Here it is installed in my hall ceiling. I have a door, a pedestal and an artwork I'd like to spotlight.
When you turn this on -- the light is blinding. Take my word for it, the photographs were just a FLARE!
After a LOT of experimenting... my hubby and I used these objects to solve the problem.
We discovered that the caps on our clear paint-spray cans were the same diameter as the light fixture... AND they would diffuse the light, spread it more evenly.
We rolled thick art paper into tight tubes around the caps -- trying different lengths to determine best distribution of light.

Glowing light sabers on the ceiling.
The lights became tolerable to view and could be directed toward the art.
Okay... but not great.
BTW: We also tried metal and tube socks and other solutions.
Paper had the greatest creative flexibility. Sturdy enough to make shades, removable for cleaning too.
I remembered a scarf I had draped over my bedroom light for romantic oo-la-la. It's colors blend perfectly with our home and remind me of the stained glass I use to accent throughout the place.
I cut the scarf into 3 equal pieces and stitched it around the tube. I can crinkle it for texture and interest. BTW: 100 stitches per tube.
I cut the metal strip into 3 bands and wrapped each band around a jar to give it a spring-like curve.
I inserted the metal ring into the end of the tube to hold the fabric and give a more finished look.
Much Better!
TaDa!
Now I can direct the lighting toward the three places I wish to spotlight.
1) The petrified-wood pedestal with my daughter's wood carving above it.
2) a layered wood, pastel & charcoal torso shown in frame 5
3) a stained glass panel I will inset next week into the door coming up from the studio...

See ya after!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring

• Lacy

Where did you get the ratcoon carving that is above your piece of petrified wood I love it

• Sally De Silva

Is it wise to put fabric on these lights ?

• Melissa Swan

LED lights dont get hot. Tou can put your bare hand invone. She ststed in her turorial that they were deemed not a fire hazard

• Stephanie

Buy a new light?

• Johanne Palange

I keep telling people that naked bulbs beaming right into your eyes is very uncomfortable. I find your project clever and crafty. It would even look good in white, or any solid color, both diffusing the light and giving everything a soft glow.

• Michelle Dodson

Clever! I love the fabric you used, it makes them look like high end "artisan" glass. Well done, you!