Dear Hometalk: How Can I Hide My Cat's Ugly Litter Box?

$60

Love your cat but hate how the litter box looks? I have a solution for you!
Meet Gerald! 

We live in a small apartment in Brooklyn & as you can see his litter box isn't the cutest living room accessory. I was on a mission to dress up this side of our living room & hide the litter box!
First stop was Home Depot - I purchased a plastic terra cotta pot & a pot saucer that fit perfectly on the top.

Next, I hopped over to Michael's & purchased floral foam, faux plants & moss.
Step 1: Begin by drawing an opening on the front of the plastic terra cotta pot that is big enough for your cat to climb into. (I found out later that you need to raise the hole so that the kitty litter doesn't fall out of the bottom as easily as mine did).
Step 2: Make sure you cover your mouth so you don't breath in the melting plastic* & begin opening the hole with a combination of the wood burner tool & some scissors.
Step 3: File down the hole with some sand paper, scissors & a metal file. This may take a bit - but I wanted this to look as neat & store bought as possible.

Step 4: Remove the bottom of the pot, add a plastic bag & pour kitty litter into the bottom. Place in the bottom of the pot.
Step 5: Add the pot saucer, & hot glue the floral foam to the top.
Step 6: Add some moss & your desired plant!
To change the litter: take the top off & pull out the plastic bag full of litter. Super quick & easy! You can also scrub the pot down & clean it really well just like a real litter box!
Jerry instantly climbed in & was right at home!
If you're not into the kitty litter idea - you can also add a blanket & make a little cat house   
This little planter really brightened up this corner of our apartment where the litter box used to be! 
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Mary

I'd rather look at the original cat box than have kitty litter all over my floor! Why not make a bi-fold screen just big enough to cover the original box?

• Beth Kipp

You could always cut the hole to be higher on the bottom part of the hole to help prevent the spread of the litter, and I do like the idea of covering the hole if the cat would be willing to go thru it.

• Beth

Why would you put a plant on top that’s poisonous to cats? Other than that it cute idea.

• Linda

Why not buy the saucer for the pot and save yourself from sweeping the floor?.

• Doreen Kennedy

Your kitty really seems to like the cat house with toys. 😻

• Bette Bilau
    10 hours ago

Poor kitty...He doesn’t even have room to turn around or scratch the litter to cover it😕...I know kind thoughts were in place but it wouldn’t work for my kitties..😊

• Pamela Manspile
      5 hours ago

I wouldnt for mine either, my kitty has the largest covered litter box I could find and without a mat under it there is still litter all over the floor. And a plastic bag as a liner? Mr Cole Black would have the plastic shredded in seconds!