Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Dear Hometalk: How Can I Hide My Cat's Ugly Litter Box?

$60

Love your cat but hate how the litter box looks? I have a solution for you!
how to hide a litter box
Meet Gerald! 

We live in a small apartment in Brooklyn & as you can see his litter box isn't the cutest living room accessory. I was on a mission to dress up this side of our living room & hide the litter box!
how to hide a litter box
First stop was Home Depot - I purchased a plastic terra cotta pot & a pot saucer that fit perfectly on the top.

Next, I hopped over to Michael's & purchased floral foam, faux plants & moss.
how to hide a litter box
Step 1: Begin by drawing an opening on the front of the plastic terra cotta pot that is big enough for your cat to climb into. (I found out later that you need to raise the hole so that the kitty litter doesn't fall out of the bottom as easily as mine did).
how to hide a litter box
Step 2: Make sure you cover your mouth so you don't breath in the melting plastic* & begin opening the hole with a combination of the wood burner tool & some scissors.
how to hide a litter box
Step 3: File down the hole with some sand paper, scissors & a metal file. This may take a bit - but I wanted this to look as neat & store bought as possible.

how to hide a litter box
Step 4: Remove the bottom of the pot, add a plastic bag & pour kitty litter into the bottom. Place in the bottom of the pot.
how to hide a litter box
Step 5: Add the pot saucer, & hot glue the floral foam to the top.
how to hide a litter box
Step 6: Add some moss & your desired plant!
how to hide a litter box
To change the litter: take the top off & pull out the plastic bag full of litter. Super quick & easy! You can also scrub the pot down & clean it really well just like a real litter box!
how to hide a litter box
Jerry instantly climbed in & was right at home!
how to hide a litter box
If you're not into the kitty litter idea - you can also add a blanket & make a little cat house   
how to hide a litter box
This little planter really brightened up this corner of our apartment where the litter box used to be! 
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 04, 2018 10:03 PM - More info

3 questions on this project
  • Looks looks cute but is it really big enough?

• Kay M Johnson
      May 23, 2018

I would go with a different shape and size planter. You could make this work . Just let your imagination run wild ! I'm going to do some sketches. I have 5 litter boxes, yes 5, lol I'm going to see what I can come up with. I will share it when I'm ffinished. This could really be interesting.

• Mem9553176
    May 10, 2018

I don't have cats, but I'm curious as to one thing. I wonder if the cat would use it if you simply put the flowers (or fake) on top and your litter inside with the hole almost to the floor and turn it around to the back so the hole wouldn't be seen. I'm sure you could be creative and find a place to put it where it wouldn't have to be totally against the wall, couldn't you?

• Jennifer Bruce
      May 27, 2018

I have cats. I'm by no means discouraging your ideas, but with cats its a learned behavior. They are very adapt to behavior. If something changes, they notice more than you think. If the box is out of the norm, it really affects them. Just as us if we move furniture, its going to take adjustment to get used to it. Cats don't adjust well. You will see messes everywhere because they don't get it. If you start it off there maybe. They would use it. It does need air to circulate though. Just as our bathrooms, if there's no circulation, you would get a stinch f urine and no one likes that. Cats to don't like their area with an odor or messy. Plus its unsanitary. It really affects their health for the bad.

GREAT THOUGHT THOUGH!!! Keep it coming cause I would love to change the look of a cat box. Thanks keep it up. 🤔

• Ali19961001
    May 10, 2018

I have 3 cats that won't leave my flowers alone I need something bigger.what would I use????

• Evelyn Morgan
    Jun 30, 2018

This will not work for full grown cats. There would be poop everywhere.

• Connie
    Jul 20, 2018

Too small, too confined. Cats feel vulnerable when using the litter box, and prefer to see all around them. Also, a box should be open to allow the owner to, at least occasionally, observe the cat...looking for signs of straining, etc. These subtle symptoms can avoid major health problems if caught early.