Hayden Scharrer
Hayden Scharrer
  • Battle Creek, MI

How To Repurpose Singer Sewing Drawers

$15

My good friend called me over because her father-in-law had a trailer full of junk. When I got there she had these amazing singer sewing drawers waiting for me. They needed some serious work but I knew they had potential. I've seen so many people repurposed these as nightstand cubbies so I wanted to give it a try myself!
BEFORE
BEFORE
Unfortunately, I couldn't save one of the tops (as pictured above) because part of it was broken off and the veneer was too warped. I did save the top on the other one by chipping away the veneer and giving it a quick sanding to prep it for paint.
how to repurpose singer sewing drawers
Step 1: The first step to repurposing sewing drawers is to clean them well! I just use simple Clorox disinfecting wipes to do this. Now on to the fun part..painting!
how to repurpose singer sewing drawers
Step 2: Now, apply your paint. I used Country Chic Paint in Liquorice (affiliate). It required minimal prep, is an eco-friendly paint and is the perfect matte black ever! It took two coats to get the opaque coverage I wanted, and only about an hour total of painting!
how to repurpose singer sewing drawers
Step 3: The final step is to seal your paint! This is all based on preference, but I wanted my paint to look aged and authentic with a bit of an uneven hue. To achieve this, I used Country Chic's antique wax (affiliate) and a wax brush and applied it to the entire piece. That's it! This was such an easy transformation and I'm loving how versatile these are! We set them by the door so we can easily drop mail, keys, sunglasses, etc. in them on our way in and out!

Don't forget to stop by my blog (link is below) to see more shots of these drawers!

• Country Chic Paint
  • Antique Wax
  • Paint Brush
Hayden Scharrer