Dollar Store Gem Back Splash - Part 2

$45

Several months ago, I created a back splash in my bathroom using gems from the Dollar Store. After a lot of people requested that I continue the mosaic on the rest of the wall. While I didn't want the entire wall covered with the gems, this is what I did.

This is the bathroom after creating the back splash. This original project took three bags of Dollar Store gems.

For this project, I purchased 35 bags of gems.

There were really dusty, so I removed them from the bags, placed them in a colander and washed them with a mild soap and water.

After their washing, I dried them on a towel.

Using a level (which I bought at the Dollar Store) I made a line slightly above the back splash.

I then measured to that line from the floor and marked the wall. I continued that line across the entire wall.

Another comment from the original post was that people wondered why I didn't create some type of design on the wall. This time, I hand-drew seaweed shapes in various sizes.

Using mastic (which is a tile adhesive), I began the by filling small sections of the the seaweed shapes.

And then applied the green gems. I purchased two different sizes of green to give the "seaweed" a different look then the rest of the wall.

Once the seaweed was complete, I applied mastic to the rest of the wall, working in small sections.

When I reached the point where I had to join the previous back splash with the new mosaic, I simply butted the mastic up to the previous and added gems.

While the mastic was drying, I measured and cut a piece of chair rail moulding.

I used the line I had drawn on the wall as a guide. I nailed the molding onto the wall using a brad nailer.

Once the chair rail was in place, I added a more gems to fill in the gaps. Instead of putting the mastic onto the wall, I applied it onto the back of each gem and put them onto the wall.

Once the mastic was completely dry, I applied the grout and wiped the excess off with a sponge and plain water.

Once the grout dried, the "seaweed" really popped!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Maude  LaFountain
    Maude LaFountain

That is so pretty !!! My bathroom is done in a patriotic theme I wonder if I could do maybe a Flag behind my toilet ...I think that would look awesome or maybe do it across from the toilet on a different wall ...no matter which way I love the idea ...Can you buy RED WHITE & BLUE GEMS / PEBBLES.? Hmmm gonna have to check that out ...thanks got sharing I love it great job you did on it !!!

• Jayde
      Jayde

Hobby Lobby, Michaels and on line for red white and blue. Dollar store has blue and white sometimes but I have never seen red.

• Mary Brady
    Mary Brady

just wondering, how would you remove this?

it looks beautiful!!

• Lea Anne
    Lea Anne

Awesome project and finished look!!!

• Kimmy Hoffman
    Kimmy Hoffman

I love this wish someone would let me do their wall... i rent so I can't in my home!

• Maria
    Maria

Wow !!! that is super cool and beautiful . you can do this work just on some plywood and then add on some nice trim around the frame or do it on a big picture frame very nice work Alice W.