Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Dollar Store Gem Back Splash - Part 2

$45

Several months ago, I created a back splash in my bathroom using gems from the Dollar Store. After a lot of people requested that I continue the mosaic on the rest of the wall. While I didn't want the entire wall covered with the gems, this is what I did.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

dollar store gem back splash part 2

dollar store gem back splash part 2

This is the bathroom after creating the back splash. This original project took three bags of Dollar Store gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

For this project, I purchased 35 bags of gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

There were really dusty, so I removed them from the bags, placed them in a colander and washed them with a mild soap and water.

After their washing, I dried them on a towel.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Using a level (which I bought at the Dollar Store) I made a line slightly above the back splash.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

I then measured to that line from the floor and marked the wall. I continued that line across the entire wall.

Another comment from the original post was that people wondered why I didn't create some type of design on the wall. This time, I hand-drew seaweed shapes in various sizes.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Using mastic (which is a tile adhesive), I began the by filling small sections of the the seaweed shapes.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

And then applied the green gems. I purchased two different sizes of green to give the "seaweed" a different look then the rest of the wall.

Once the seaweed was complete, I applied mastic to the rest of the wall, working in small sections.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

When I reached the point where I had to join the previous back splash with the new mosaic, I simply butted the mastic up to the previous and added gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

While the mastic was drying, I measured and cut a piece of chair rail moulding.

I used the line I had drawn on the wall as a guide. I nailed the molding onto the wall using a brad nailer.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Once the chair rail was in place, I added a more gems to fill in the gaps. Instead of putting the mastic onto the wall, I applied it onto the back of each gem and put them onto the wall.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Once the mastic was completely dry, I applied the grout and wiped the excess off with a sponge and plain water.

Once the grout dried, the "seaweed" really popped!

dollar store gem back splash part 2

• Kate

I want to use these stones to creat a back splash in my bathroom or kitchen. These walks are in a mobile home. Will they stick to the wall board with out doing a lot of prep on the walls? The walls are papers made right on them. Will the glue, grout, and mastic work with those type of walls?

Thanks Kate

• Suzanne M

I've lived in many mobiles. The walls r thin & flexible. I'd try a test spot first & observe.

• Rosa

Would it work on the bathroom floor

• Ton

did you remove the toilet tank or just put the tiles around it?

• Jae

Very nice job! Really is a work of art! Men will enjoy it the most, since that is their view, not ours! Excellent idea!

• Lynn

Excellent observation Jae! Made me truly laugh out loud!

• Sharpie

I'm redoing my bathroom now and you just gave me my finishing touch. Beautiful job!!!!!! Thank you for the inspiration