Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Dollar Store Gem Back Splash - Part 2

$45

Several months ago, I created a back splash in my bathroom using gems from the Dollar Store. After a lot of people requested that I continue the mosaic on the rest of the wall. While I didn't want the entire wall covered with the gems, this is what I did.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

dollar store gem back splash part 2

dollar store gem back splash part 2

This is the bathroom after creating the back splash. This original project took three bags of Dollar Store gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

For this project, I purchased 35 bags of gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

There were really dusty, so I removed them from the bags, placed them in a colander and washed them with a mild soap and water.

After their washing, I dried them on a towel.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Using a level (which I bought at the Dollar Store) I made a line slightly above the back splash.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

I then measured to that line from the floor and marked the wall. I continued that line across the entire wall.

Another comment from the original post was that people wondered why I didn't create some type of design on the wall. This time, I hand-drew seaweed shapes in various sizes.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Using mastic (which is a tile adhesive), I began the by filling small sections of the the seaweed shapes.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

And then applied the green gems. I purchased two different sizes of green to give the "seaweed" a different look then the rest of the wall.

Once the seaweed was complete, I applied mastic to the rest of the wall, working in small sections.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

When I reached the point where I had to join the previous back splash with the new mosaic, I simply butted the mastic up to the previous and added gems.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

While the mastic was drying, I measured and cut a piece of chair rail moulding.

I used the line I had drawn on the wall as a guide. I nailed the molding onto the wall using a brad nailer.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Once the chair rail was in place, I added a more gems to fill in the gaps. Instead of putting the mastic onto the wall, I applied it onto the back of each gem and put them onto the wall.

dollar store gem back splash part 2

Once the mastic was completely dry, I applied the grout and wiped the excess off with a sponge and plain water.

Once the grout dried, the "seaweed" really popped!

dollar store gem back splash part 2

• Rosa

Would it work on the bathroom floor

• Holly Jensen

I would definitely not do a floor in these glass gems - they will chip and possibly become a cutting hazard. As a rule, glass should only be used on walls as a decorative option.

• Ton

did you remove the toilet tank or just put the tiles around it?

• Angie

The gems are beautiful, but didn't you just make cleaning a lot more difficult, instead of the previous smooth surface, with each of these gems acting like individual dust catchers? Don't know if you addressed this. Maybe finishing off with several layers of clear acrylic spray covering the gems to build up the surface thickness would ease cleaning and also protect the gems-done in a well ventilated space.

• Sally Alter

I did the same backsplash in my bathroom and I have no problem with keeping it shiny and clean. Just use water and dish soap on a cloth and wipe over them. If you have stuck them in well, they will not come off.

• Hope

Sooo pretty!! I love how it turned out. Thanks for the tips about using different sizes for added dimension.

• Lisa House

Nicely done!