Is there a way to remove mold from grout?

+14
We had a genius idea years ago to put ceramic tile in our bathroom "ourselves." We "later" realized the shower gets moisture, which produces mold...at least in our bathroom. Lesson learned, but we still have mildew. We can't remodel the bathroom, so we need alternatives. The grout was never white, but creme as I'm pointing to in the picture. I've tried Comet, vinegar and a couple of other things with no real success Please help! Thanks!
q is there a way to remove mold from grout
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on May 04, 2018
    Good Morning Yolanda,
    Because my daughter has children AND pets (and a tiled bathroom) she wanted something safe to use, something that wouldn't negatively affect them, so I gae her this link and she tried it. It took some elbow grease but was worth it, so I m passing it on to you now ;) Good Luck and thanks for coming to Hometalk for some answers.
  • Janet Janet on May 04, 2018
    Try CLR for mold and mildew. If that doesn't work, it may be that the roots are established and theonly thing to do is scrape the grout out and re-grout.
  • Heide Heide on May 04, 2018
    I always used Clorox Kleenup spray on my tile shower walls when they got mold. You probably could also dilute Clorox with water and use a spray bottle to apply it. You could seal the grout after cleaning. There are sealers available at home improvement stores.
  • Rachel Rachel on May 04, 2018
    You may try using vinegar and water it kills the mold and isn't toxic
  • Jol32120009 Jol32120009 on May 05, 2018
    Spray X-14 on the grout. It's found in most hardware stores and many grocery stores. It will "melt" the mold away in minutes.
  • Karen Ponsonby Petruck Karen Ponsonby Petruck on May 05, 2018
    I tried gel toilet cleaner and it worked like a charm. Just cover grout, let it set for a few minutes and then lightly scrub.
  • Jake Dyck Jake Dyck on May 05, 2018
    I found that spraying TEATREE oil on the mould kills even the spores that always make it com back
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on May 05, 2018
    Straight bleach applied with an artist's paint brush. You can also mix it with baking soda to leave on longer. Let sit. Rinse. (P.S - make sure you close the bathroom up and leave the windows open if you have pets so they don't try to taste it!)
  • Sarin Rhodes Sarin Rhodes on May 05, 2018
    These are all great tips, thank you ladies for sharing it. It's good to know that there are other alternatives beside bleach.
  • Maria Maria on May 05, 2018
    i have small grandchildren, I spray with hydrogen peroxide, no smell, no harm if they step on it, and kills mold.
  • Smittie22 Smittie22 on May 05, 2018
    Yes. Bleach, bleach with baking soda. Easiest way is to get one of the many sprays on the market. Otherwise, you will have lots of scrubbing with an old toothbrush!
  • Smittie22 Smittie22 on May 05, 2018
    Exactly!
  • Hap11533389 Hap11533389 on May 05, 2018
    I soaked a bunch of cotton strips in javex and duct taped it to grout line. Left for 20 mins or so. Mold gone!
  • Yolonda Yolonda on Jul 03, 2018
    I used many of the suggestions to remove the mold from the grout and the grout turned out looking pretty good. Thanks to all who responded! 😊
  • Janie Tisdale Janie Tisdale on Jan 20, 2021

I used straight bleach on paper towels (with gloves). Worked for me.