DIY Driftwood Mirror Frame Without Nails or Screws

I really wanted to build a mirror frame for our master bathroom that had the look and feel of driftwood (so hot right now). I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this project was. I was especially happy about the fact it didn't require any nails or screws, just mounting tape.
diy driftwood mirror frame without nails or screws, bathroom ideas, diy, how to, wall decor, woodworking projects
I started with these pine boards that I treated with a concoction of vinegar and steel wool followed by a few coats of liming wax. See the post for a link to that process.
I replaced the outdated two smaller mirrors in the bathroom with one large one that was collecting dust in the basement. I attached the mirror to the wall with nothing but mirror adhesive.
I taped the top corners of the mirror to keep it from falling while the adhesive set overnight.
I used my miter saw to cut four pieces for the mirror frame. I stuck the pieces directly to the mirror using outdoor mounting tape.
I added a piece of decorative molding to the top of the frame. The corners of that piece were adhered using wood glue.
Here's the finished product!
Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Kelly

Did you go right over the mirror or to the edge?

• Cathy

I did this last week. It took two of us. I have a big mirror. I use liquid nails. right over the mirror. I took the top mirror plastic hooks off. The mirror is glued on. I had to take wood and brace the picture frame to stay in place for about and hour. Dont know if I really needed to do that but I did. Used finishing nail on the corner squared with liquid nails. Be sure to drill small hole or tape nail in before putting up so you dont crack mirror with hammering.

, hope this helps you
  • Mike Mutzig

How did you hide the left edge of the mirror?

• Jeri Walker

If you want to hide the mirror edge, you can glue or nail a 1/4 X 1 inch flat trim to the back side of your trim, then your mirror will fit inside your trim like a picture frame.

• Sgr33808951

what size is the wood. I mean what is the width and thickness of the wood? I would love to try it.

• Hel6645655

Love it. Have the same big mirrors left with naked edges that look so plain.

Thank you 😊 for sharing details.

One question- did you bevel the siding and flush it up next to the mirror or did you glue siding. to mirror?

• Faith W Little

Really headed toward the Louvre I'd say. I 'like' it. If it were mine though,
    I'd paint the vanity a banker's gray, then do "Paris" stenciling atop the
    paint here and there, or try a Japanese great but sparse cherry
    blossom design.