Upcycled Tin Can Planters For Succulents and Other Small Plants

$10

These upcycled Tin Can Planters are perfect for your succulents or other small plants and flowers. Turn tin cans into DIY planters with an easy faux galvanized metal painting technique. Sprinkle with cinnamon “rust” to give the cans an aged look.
I ran out of little pots and was trying to think of things I could use as planter containers that I already had around the house. I saw an empty can of peas in our recycling bin, and thought it could be the perfect size to hold a small succulent plant. Combine that with my being in a crafty mood, and these DIY Tin Can Planters were born.
It’s so easy to give your tin cans a faux galvanized metal paint job. All you need is black, white, and gray craft paint. You can mix the black and white to make gray, but I had some gray paint on hand already so I used that.

To give the faux galvanized metal tin cans an aged look, I used Modge Podge to add cinnamon on the cans to look like fake rusty areas. Cinnamon actually makes a good faux rust and smells nice, too.
Visit my blog post at Mom Always Finds Out for the step-by-step directions and photos for this project.

Mom Always Finds Out

• Katy

At what step did you apply the modgepod? Thanks.

• Mom Always Finds Out

After the can was painted and completely dry, I applied the Modge Podge to the areas where I wanted to add the cinnamon. You'll want to add the cinnamon while the Modge Podge is wet, and then allow it to dry. Complete project directions are at the blog post link. Thank you for your question. Hope that answer helps!

• Annie

Will the cinnamon wash off if it gets wet

• Mom Always Finds Out

I haven’t tested it, but my best guess is that yes, the cinnamon will wash off in water. I did not apply a waterproof sealant on top of the cinnamon. Hope that helps!

• Kelley

Love it..did u put holes in the bottom of the can or did u put pea gravel in for drainage thank u

• Kelley

Ty i think holes would. Messy n e way pea gravel is a great way to go ty for responding have a super weekend

• Nancy

Love them! Must try

• Kris Geier

Great tips will definitely try to find your blog!!! Very interested in your great ideas! Thank you