Peppermint Oil Spill

SarahJessica RogersKate Sinnott
+14

I spilled a 4 ounce bottle of essential peppermint oil. It went all over the counter, down the dishwasher and on my hardwood floor. I have cleaned it all up, but the whole house smells of peppermint, not that it's a bad thing, we are all breathing much better, sinuses all cleared up, but it is a little overwhelming. Does anyone have any ideas how to dissipate some of the strong smell?

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Fresh air, time and lots of both.
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Thank you Redcatcec!
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Try some Frebreeze on the surfaces where you spilled it, and one of their Air Effects spray.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

You could try washing those surfaces again with some Pine Sol in your water.
  • Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

Use an ozone machine for a couple of hours when no one is going to be in the affected room (including any pets). That should cut it quickly since it is an organic compound. The ozone bonds with the particles and neutralizes them on a molecular level. It's like concentrated sunshine.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

Rejoice that your breathing is better. I think the smell will probably dissipate in time. It probably ran into a place you could not reach.
  • Stinky in Chicago
    Stinky in Chicago

I have the same issue. My niece spilled a full bottle of peppermint oil in my car, which was parked in the garage. That was six weeks ago. The whole house reeks! I even developed sores in my mouth and "burning mouth syndrome" that my doctor says are from inhaling the peppermint fumes.

That obnoxious smell permeated EVERYTHING! i have spent thousands of dollars trying to remedy this. Had Service Master come in with an ozone machine, which didn't work. Then we tried a hydroxyl machine--also from Service Master. Had a company called BioSweep come in and do their thing. Placed bowls of vinegar, coffee grounds and baking soda throughout the house. Washing ALL clothes multiple times in everything from vinegar to Oxyclean to an additive called Odoreze that is supposed to get rid of any smell. Had my good dresses dry cleaned three times. Purchased all new bedding and a new mattress. Now the new mattress AND the new pillows reek of peppermint.

For the past six weeks, I have opened all the windows in my house every single day for several hours per day. That does get good cross ventilation. I even placed an industrial exhaust fan in one of the windows to pull the air through the house. I also had the ducts professionally cleaned.

I also purchased a few new clothing items and washed them. After doing so, now the new clothes have a STRONG peppermint odor. Figuring the smell was embedded in the washer and dryer, I purchased new machines. After a couple of days, now any clothes washed in THOSE machines comes out smelling of peppermint--even new cloths.

That smell will NOT go away. It will NOT dissipate. Not with time. Not with airing out. Not with thousands of dollars in professional remediation attempts. Now I am looking at putting the house on the market just to get out of this, as it is impacting my health. The only thing I haven't tried is repainting the entire house. My guess is that the horrendous smell got into the walls.

That crap should not be on the market! At least not in such concentrated form.

• Kate Sinnott
    Kate Sinnott

Hey did this smell go? If so how long did it take?!

• Kate Sinnott
    Kate Sinnott

Did you ever get over this!?

• Kate Sinnott
    Kate Sinnott

Please!! Did this ever go!? I feel like we’re living the same nightmare.. we’ve been out of our house for 5 weeks, with a 2 year old and new born as scared for their health

• Jessica Rogers
    Jessica Rogers

i got rid of my peppermint spill. its called moving

• Sarah
    Sarah

Has anyone managed to solve this problem please?? I’m desperate to find something that works? I have two young children and I’m scared for their health if we return home to our house. Spilled 50mls of pure peppermint oil, on two areas of floor boards in our house which can’t be replaced without removing the whole floor/bathroom/airing cupboard ect.... does the smell and the fumes dissipate with time???