Taking the Pain Out of Sanding

$5

I have arthritis in my hands so sanding can be painful especially after a very long Wisconsin winter.

Joe and I were in the garage working on our current project, a beautiful gate leg table. As with many previously rehabbed projects, it had been subjected to someone pouring a tar like finish allover to refinish problem areas quickly.
We had been hand sanding away when she mentioned a strip like sanding tool she liked to use when working on round dowels. The very same day I jumped on my computer to buy one.

Luckily, I stumbled on an excellent website for woodworking before I dug out the credit card.

On the website, (that I cannot find again to save me) it suggested using duct tape to make strong, long lasting sanding strips. So instead of buying, I made my own.
While the strips were excellent to use, my hands especially the thumbs were still sore. So Plan B, I grabbed a couple of small sticks and extended the tape to wrap around the sticks on each end.
Eureka, using a wider stick (about 1 1/2"), I was able to hold onto the stick with all my fingers and the lower part of my palm giving my poor thumbs a break.

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters

• Michelle McCaughtry

Amazing idea - I too do not like sanding at all and will usually chalk paint something to avoid it....I will definitely try this!

• Kaye

I too am starting to see many more "paint" opportunities. Thanks.

• D Danielle Noe Torres

What's a fantastic tip! Thank you.

• Kaye

Thanks! I hope that others with my problem can get some relief and enjoy DIYing a little longer.