Have You Tried Using an Old Bath to Make Into a Container Garden?

28K Views
Have you tried using an old bath to make into a container garden?

I purchased an old bath some time ago from a 'Rastro' (second hand shop) in Spain - you may be able to find one in a thrift store or 'by the road'?

A couple of years ago we renovated our front garden. But.... obviously you have to wait a while for some plants to grow and thought using some artificial flowers would be a nice idea and not too difficult to do and would give the house some instant 'curb appeal'.
Time: 30 MinutesCost: $94Difficulty: Easy
  • have you tried using an old bath to make into a container garden
I initially purchased the silk flowers to put into the bath to brighten it up immediately until some of the other plants grew. 
This year I thought I would change the artificial flowers with some more fresh plants that had already got some small buds ready to flower and some succulents.  So... this year I have managed to create a small container garden in the old bath.
This was very easy to create.  I purchased a bag of 'soil based compost' from our local gardeners with a variety of flowering plants and some succulents.  First of all I drilled 3 small holes in the bath and placed some gravel over them and then filled the bath with the compost and placed the plants inside, making a nice arrangement and then gave them a watering.  I let the water soak for a while.  You will see that the bath also has 'feet' so this will enable some good drainage.
Once that was completed I purchased a bag of white small stones to decorate on top of the soil.

This only took about half an hour to complete
You can purchase your plants, soil and small stones from most gardening outlets
Breakdown of costs:-

Bath 40 euros
Soil 2.85 euros
Stones 5.95 euros
Plants 30 euros

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 21, 2018 12:01 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.