Super Switch and Outlet Update for (Almost!) Free

3.6K Views
After I successfully changed out the combo outlet/switch in my master bath, (link posted below) I was left with a bit of a dilemma: My new outlet didn’t match the old ones!
Time: 1 HoursCost: $2Difficulty: Easy
Since the old ones were an outdated (and dare I say UGLY!) dark brown, I decided to change their color, even though there were more brown than ivory ones.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
I neither desired nor needed to replace all the switches and outlets in my bathroom, so it was with a light heart that I headed to Home Depot on my way home from work one day.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
I picked up a can of my latest favorite spray paint, Rust-Oleum 2x paint and primer in Navajo White. Since I hadn't thought to take the lighter cover with me, I just went to the same store where I had purchased it and used one of their switch covers to match the paint. I would have thought Almond was the proper color, but ended up getting the Navajo after comparing them in the store. If it turned out to be a little off, I figured that I could always paint the new cover and switch with the Navajo White.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
After removing the switch and outlet covers, I sprayed them with my homemade citrus oil and vinegar spray, then let them sit in my sink for a few minutes. Then I washed them with dish soap and water, and dried them before bringing them outside to paint.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
I placed them, including the screws, on the top of a paper box lid and sprayed even, thin coats.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
I let them dry between coats and sprayed again a few times until they had a nice, even coverage. Then I let them dry overnight. (Ok, for a few nights! Don't tell anyone, but I procrastinate a lot!)
The next step was to make a cone and spray the outlet and switches inside my bathroom. I used a Q-tip and put lotion over that little light in the top corner so the paint wouldn't cover it.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
Really, there wasn't much to spray here!
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
I gave them a light coat of paint and allowed to dry between coats. It takes longer to dry inside than it did outside.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
A close-up of the reason for the paper cones! They catch the over-spray and bad aim. Whomever installed this outlet definitely wasn't left-handed! It's a really tight corner, and probably not up to code. When I was replacing the cover, I dropped one of the painted screws into the abyss between the vanity and wall. I switched it out with the light switches, because they have 4 holes, plus it will be easier to replace than this one.
  • super switch and outlet update for almost free
Once everything was dry, it was time to reassemble everything. Ta Da! They match really well.
I estimated the cost as $2, but that really depends on whether or not you have the right color paint on hand. It cost about $4 for a can, but as you can see, It didn't take much paint to cover the plate covers and switches. I honestly don't know how long it took, because I did it over a few days, but if you alternated spraying outside to spraying inside, it'd probably take less than an hour. However, I would suggest starting in the morning so the fumes can vent adequately if you're spraying in your bedroom.

Suggested materials for this project:

  • Rust-Oleum 2X paint and primer, Navajo White  (Lowe's)
  • Masking tape  (had on hand)
  • Used sheet of printer paper  (had on hand)