Small Space Garden

$100

Don't have a lot of space but want to try out your green thumb? Here's an idea that makes use of an area that is all too often overlooked.
This is the space I had to work with. A 14' by 12" slice of horrible clay earth between our fence and the cement slab. First things first, that dirt had to go, so I dug it out and discarded it. Now I could have filled the space with quality soil but I had another idea. I filled the area with sand that we had on hand from another project. This made for a nice, level surface plus it got rid of that sand that had been hanging around forever! Win/win!

Next, I built a super simple box with two 2x8x10's and some wood screws. Clearly, Paulie thought it was for him, so I had to act fast.

The hardest part was navigating the indent in the fence so the box would lay flush all the way across. In the end I cut one of the 2x8x10's in half and fit a piece of a 2x4 in to create the corner in the wood that would enable the box to fit in perfectly. Then I stained the box with the left over stain we used for the fence.

Oh, almost forgot, I did staple both weed block and some mesh to the bottom of box so the good soil would not mix in with the sand.
Then I flipped the whole thing over and filled the box with almost 9 cubic feet of cactus soil  . I was really surprised it took as much as it did. A math person would have figured that out... my talents lie elsewhere  . Then I just started planting. For me, I chose succulents.

You could use this space for flowers, strawberries, herbs, tomatoes or whatever strikes your fancy. Pole beans would work great here too!

I decided that the space needed a little more pizzazz so I bought some little crates at Joann's and stained them the same color as the box and attached them to the fence with wood screws.

I also bought these little shelves at Joann's. They didn't come with the mounting pieces, so I had to get creative at my scrap wood pile.

Then I started decorating and adding some fun garden and fence art.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
This is the finished space. From boring and blah to beautiful and functional.

• Theresa Taylor

Was the fence yours or the neighbor's?

• Michelle

It looks awesome! Great job. It encourages me to do my fence. I have wanted to add some pizazz on my lower patio area. We intertain a lot.

• Lisa Hancock

Awesome idea! What a transformation! Kudos to you and your creativity!

• Sunny

I love the whole area! But where did you get your sun? I wish I a fence. 😄

• Melinda Naumovic

Wow. REally lovely

• Vivienne

Fantastic idea 👍 I live in the city of Glasgow, UK and short of space & privacy so yr project has provided the answer many thanks