Beth Kingston
Beth Kingston
  • Arnold, MD

DIY Rainbow Ribbon Wreath

$10

Looking for something to do with that leftover ribbon? Grab a hot glue gun and a foam wreath to create a DIY Rainbow Ribbon Wreath!

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

This post first appeared over at The Crazy Craft Lady where I'm a contributor.

Now, I am a ribbon hoarder. There. I said it.

So when I had the chance to make a "rainbow something" I knew it would involve ribbon. I had a foam wreath left over from this project and in just a few minutes was able to create this fun rainbow ribbon wreath!

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Here are the supplies you will need:

• foam wreath (any size)
  • large sharp knife
  • pen
  • assorted ribbon
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • glue dots
  • white cardstock
diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 1: Use the knife to cut the foam wreath in half.

Note – a craft knife is too small to give a clean cut, so be sure to use a large kitchen knife.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 2: Use a pen to mark five lines evenly spaced across the foam - that will be the color sections on your wreath. These are just to give you a rough idea of where to stop and start.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 3: Start at one end of the rainbow and hot glue your first color to the back of the foam. Don’t worry about trying to get the ribbon exactly to the edge – both ends will be hidden by the paper clouds you are putting on at the end.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 4: Wrap your ribbon around the foam several times (amount will vary depending on the size of the wreath). Make sure that the ribbon overlaps itself and pull tight as you go.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 5: Once you get close to your first pen mark, make your last wrap around to the back of the foam and hot glue the ribbon down. Trim the excess.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 6: Overlap your second ribbon color on the edge of your first ribbon and adhere with hot glue.

Repeat steps 3-6 until your rainbow is complete.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

Step 7: If you’ve got a die cutting machine or large die you can easily create paper clouds with white cardstock. I used my Cricut!

Don’t have a machine? You can free-hand cut a cloud or there are plenty of free images available online that you can print out and use as a template.

Once you have your two clouds cut out, use glue dots to adhere the clouds to the wreath.

diy rainbow ribbon wreath

And voila! With a plain foam wreath and some scraps of ribbon, you can easily create your own Rainbow Ribbon Wreath!

So, now you may be asking, what can I use this Rainbow Ribbon Wreath for?

Well, I think this project would be perfect to make for birthday party decor or classroom decor. Also, this would be a fun project to make with the kids if you swapped out the glue gun for another glue and (of course) supervised them.

To get more project inspiration for your home and to learn more about the products used in this project, stop by my blog!

Beth Kingston

• Kay Cloninger Kirby

How did you hang this without anything showing

• Beth Kingston

This photo was taken on a table - those are skittles! :) But you could use sequins and put them on the wall with glue dots!

• Kat Rogers

SUPER ADORABLE~ I LOVE 🌈!

How about gluing Cotton Balls on the Cloud cut~outs?

Very Cute & Fun, even for a 60 year old... I adore A&C!

Thanks for sharing this colorful idea.