5 Easy Steps to a Small Garden

33K Views
I chose to make a small container garden using worn out children's rubber boots. It's important to note that no children were deprived of rubber boots. I waited until they were sent to the Pound Store, then waited another week before purchasing any of these boots.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $12Difficulty: Easy
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
First I gathered children's rubber boots that I'd bought at the Pound Store as I saw them during the Fall and Winter. I was saving them for just such a challenge.
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
2. Then I cut drainage holes in the soles. This was the hardest and most time consuming part of the process. It was physically difficult, not mentally challenging.
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
I made the holes with a box cutter. So that I wouldn't cut a big hole in my thigh, because I always seem to cut towards myself rather than away, I put a flexible wooden placemat on my leg.

You also need to cut a hole in the lining of the boot, if it has one.
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
It helps to remove the insoles first!
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
3. Stuff the toes and bottoms with newspaper or landscape fabric so that no soil escapes. Because the holes are in the arches, the heels keep them high enough to drain.
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
4 & 5: Add soil and flowers.
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
Have fun displaying them!
  • 5 easy steps to a small garden
I made a small vignette around my front door, which I never use. I wanted to put up a sign that says, "Please Go Around. The doorbell doesn't work, but you're welcome to wait. We are."

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:29 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.