5 Easy Steps to a Small Garden

$12

I chose to make a small container garden using worn out children's rubber boots. It's important to note that no children were deprived of rubber boots. I waited until they were sent to the Pound Store, then waited another week before purchasing any of these boots.
5 easy steps to a small garden
First I gathered children's rubber boots that I'd bought at the Pound Store as I saw them during the Fall and Winter. I was saving them for just such a challenge.
5 easy steps to a small garden
2. Then I cut drainage holes in the soles. This was the hardest and most time consuming part of the process. It was physically difficult, not mentally challenging.
5 easy steps to a small garden
I made the holes with a box cutter. So that I wouldn't cut a big hole in my thigh, because I always seem to cut towards myself rather than away, I put a flexible wooden placemat on my leg.

You also need to cut a hole in the lining of the boot, if it has one.
5 easy steps to a small garden
It helps to remove the insoles first!
5 easy steps to a small garden
3. Stuff the toes and bottoms with newspaper or landscape fabric so that no soil escapes. Because the holes are in the arches, the heels keep them high enough to drain.
5 easy steps to a small garden
4 & 5: Add soil and flowers.
5 easy steps to a small garden, Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink.
5 easy steps to a small garden
Have fun displaying them!
5 easy steps to a small garden
I made a small vignette around my front door, which I never use. I wanted to put up a sign that says, "Please Go Around. The doorbell doesn't work, but you're welcome to wait. We are."

• 2177116953

cute idea. Wouldn't the newspaper disintegrate,

leaving the soil to seep thru the holes?

• Matty watts

I bought 2 pairs of children’s rain boots a while back ( grandkids are to big) Colors are red & yellow . Always thought they would be so cute to plant flowers in . Come spring I’m doing it . Thank you for your pist

• She12361249

Instead of landscape fabric I cut a piece of old nylon hose and place it over the hole. It keep the dirt from going through, doesn’t clog and allows drainage. Best of all the nylon hose was kept out of the landfill.

• Birdy Daniel

For safety, please don’t cut anything on your lap! The holes in the bottoms of these shoes/boots can be drilled with an electric drill and large 1” bit. Drill slowly so as not to melt the vinyl. Wet ifneeded to cool the shoe. Put shoe in a vice to secure to a stable surface.