Tiered Flower Garden Makeover

$500

We purchased a fixer upper home in August 2016. We found that the 1/2 acre yard need as much if not more fixing up than the inside. I'm a gardener, so that's just fine. I was up for the challenge. Come along as I show you the amazing transformation of a dreadful looking weed pit into a stunning, tiered flower garden.
tiered flower garden makeover, Before The Weed Pit
Before - The Weed Pit
I began the makeover by digging out weeds, ditch lilies, weeds, lily of the valley, weeds – you get the picture. Some of the weeds were like trees and I had to have help removing those.
tiered flower garden makeover, Making Progress The Weed Pit
Making Progress - The Weed Pit
Here I'm making progress and seeing that this is a tiered bed. And, who knew all those lovely field stones were there. I love rocks almost as much as I love flowers. I uncovered a few other treasures besides the rocks- Asiatic lilies, a lovely bleeding heart plant and strawberries.
tiered flower garden makeover, After 1 All cleaned up
After 1 - All cleaned up
After several days and a lot of pain, here she is all cleaned up and pretty. I amended the sandy soil by adding compost and planted lots of perennials. The perennials include: several different varieties of coneflower, Asiatic lilies, irises, yarrow, daylilies and many more. I also added in a few annuals here and there for continuous color. I'm sure I'll be moving plants around over the next few years, trying to get it just right. After getting everything planted, I added a good layer of mulch and some fun decor pieces.
tiered flower garden makeover, After Tiered Flower Garden Makeover
After - Tiered Flower Garden Makeover
Here is another view a few weeks later when the plants started filling in and the colors started to pop.

It's so gratifying to look back at a project of this magnitude and see what you accomplished. I am a 50+ year old woman and with the exception of getting help with a few very deep rooted weeds, I did this myself. Basically, it took a strong back, a good shovel and some good clippers. I didn't keep exact tabs but the plants and mulch were around $500. I purchased perennials because they come back every year. Check out more pictures and the full details of this makeover here.

I chronicle my makeovers and gardening ventures at Gingham Gardens. If you'd like to see more pictures of this makeover and other makeovers, plus how-tos and lots of other flower garden eye candy, please stop by.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 15, 2018 10:25 PM - More info
Joanna - Gingham Gardens

• I am fighting vines they keep taking over is there anything I can do to stop that

• April Watts Adams

I have a lot of back probs but I want to update my small flower garden. What is something that is very easy to do?

• Donna

I also have back issues (9 back operations), I love gardens!! Over the years I have discovered that if I put down an old throw rug, lay down on my side, that I am able to do most anything. I am right handed so I down on my left side, that way I can use my right hand to, Pull weeds, plant, deadhead, tend my veggies, etc. I agree to keep it small and plant things that do not need a lot of care.

• Brenda

Where did u get the rocks we want to do some rocks in our little creek and they are so expensive

• Hi Brenda, lots of the rocks you see in my gardens were already here. I also keep an eye out for rocks at construction sites especially road construction where no one cares if you take them. Also watch on Craig’s list. Farmers are always wanting to get rid of field stones. Just start asking and letting people know you want them. Good luck and happy gardening!

• Jst20925295

I love a what you have done. It is a great idea to take pictures at the beginning, middle and end of the project so that you can go back and see your accomplishments.

• Jenny

Our garden was a jungle when we moved here with plants even trying to get into our bedroom window they were so out of control. It’s taken me seven YEARS to get my garden exactly how I want it. It’s always going to be a work in progress but I can Potter now. I have RA with gout so can only work out there when pain lets me. Absolutely love what you’ve done!