Tiered Flower Garden Makeover

42K Views
We purchased a fixer upper home in August 2016. We found that the 1/2 acre yard need as much if not more fixing up than the inside. I'm a gardener, so that's just fine. I was up for the challenge. Come along as I show you the amazing transformation of a dreadful looking weed pit into a stunning, tiered flower garden.
Time: 7 DaysCost: $500Difficulty: Medium
I began the makeover by digging out weeds, ditch lilies, weeds, lily of the valley, weeds – you get the picture. Some of the weeds were like trees and I had to have help removing those.
Here I'm making progress and seeing that this is a tiered bed. And, who knew all those lovely field stones were there. I love rocks almost as much as I love flowers. I uncovered a few other treasures besides the rocks- Asiatic lilies, a lovely bleeding heart plant and strawberries.
After several days and a lot of pain, here she is all cleaned up and pretty. I amended the sandy soil by adding compost and planted lots of perennials. The perennials include: several different varieties of coneflower, Asiatic lilies, irises, yarrow, daylilies and many more. I also added in a few annuals here and there for continuous color. I'm sure I'll be moving plants around over the next few years, trying to get it just right. After getting everything planted, I added a good layer of mulch and some fun decor pieces.
Here is another view a few weeks later when the plants started filling in and the colors started to pop.

It's so gratifying to look back at a project of this magnitude and see what you accomplished. I am a 50+ year old woman and with the exception of getting help with a few very deep rooted weeds, I did this myself. Basically, it took a strong back, a good shovel and some good clippers. I didn't keep exact tabs but the plants and mulch were around $500. I purchased perennials because they come back every year. Check out more pictures and the full details of this makeover here.

I chronicle my makeovers and gardening ventures at Gingham Gardens. If you'd like to see more pictures of this makeover and other makeovers, plus how-tos and lots of other flower garden eye candy, please stop by.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 16, 2018 10:04 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Joanna VonBergen