Tiered Flower Garden Makeover

$500

We purchased a fixer upper home in August 2016. We found that the 1/2 acre yard need as much if not more fixing up than the inside. I'm a gardener, so that's just fine. I was up for the challenge. Come along as I show you the amazing transformation of a dreadful looking weed pit into a stunning, tiered flower garden.
Before - The Weed Pit
I began the makeover by digging out weeds, ditch lilies, weeds, lily of the valley, weeds – you get the picture. Some of the weeds were like trees and I had to have help removing those.
Making Progress - The Weed Pit
Here I'm making progress and seeing that this is a tiered bed. And, who knew all those lovely field stones were there. I love rocks almost as much as I love flowers. I uncovered a few other treasures besides the rocks- Asiatic lilies, a lovely bleeding heart plant and strawberries.
After 1 - All cleaned up
After several days and a lot of pain, here she is all cleaned up and pretty. I amended the sandy soil by adding compost and planted lots of perennials. The perennials include: several different varieties of coneflower, Asiatic lilies, irises, yarrow, daylilies and many more. I also added in a few annuals here and there for continuous color. I'm sure I'll be moving plants around over the next few years, trying to get it just right. After getting everything planted, I added a good layer of mulch and some fun decor pieces.
After - Tiered Flower Garden Makeover
Here is another view a few weeks later when the plants started filling in and the colors started to pop.

It's so gratifying to look back at a project of this magnitude and see what you accomplished. I am a 50+ year old woman and with the exception of getting help with a few very deep rooted weeds, I did this myself. Basically, it took a strong back, a good shovel and some good clippers. I didn't keep exact tabs but the plants and mulch were around $500. I purchased perennials because they come back every year. Check out more pictures and the full details of this makeover here.

I chronicle my makeovers and gardening ventures at Gingham Gardens. If you'd like to see more pictures of this makeover and other makeovers, plus how-tos and lots of other flower garden eye candy, please stop by.

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Joanna - Gingham Gardens

• MEG
    MEG

Kudos to you. You made an eyesore into a beautiful garden.

• Kinshasa
    Kinshasa

Do you see the weeda coming back, if so how often are you pulling weeds

• Joanna - Gingham Gardens
      Joanna - Gingham Gardens

I use a thick layer of mulch and under the mulch I used a product called Preen. The weeds are totally manageable. I go through the bed about once a week to weed and deadhead and it takes about 15-20 minutes.

• Debra
    Debra

You did a great job I am 60 and paint my house cut the grass and weed control actually I do it all I do have one question about the price seems kind of steep ? Or am I wrong

• Joanna - Gingham Gardens
      Joanna - Gingham Gardens

Hi Debra - I didn't keep exact records, but I purchased lots and lots of perennials and lots and lots of mulch, and lots and lots of compost. Sure, I probably could have gotten free perennials, but I'm picky and I didn't want what people were giving away. It's a really large area and if anything, I think the price is probably under estimated. I'm not quite 60, but like you I love taking care of my gardens and doing the projects myself. Happy gardening!

• Gert Domber
    Gert Domber

THE WEEDS GET TALLER THAN ME, SO I HAD THEM CLEANED OUT AND PUT ROOFING MATS DOWN AND RIVER ROCKS AND PUT PAINTED POTS THERE WITH FLOWERS, LOL IT HAS BEEN 2 YEARS AND THIS YEAR SOME OF THE TULIPS AND DAFFODILS

BROKE THRU, THE WHOLE SPOT USED TO BA DAFFY'S AND TULIPS, BUT THE WEEDS COULD NOT BE CONTROLLED.

• Debbie
    Debbie

Good on you!! I’m 58 and while my back could PROBABLY (??) do it- my knees most definitely could not. I miss diggin in the dirt SO MUCH!!!