Create an Easy Flower Centerpiece for a Patriotic Table

$4

Memorial Day is around the corner, following that is Flag Day (June 14th) and then July 4th. Here's an easy way to create a patriotic centerpiece using garden flowers and flags to celebrate the Red, White and Blue!
create an easy flower centerpiece for a patriotic table
For a centerpiece for the table, I used red, white and blue plaid metal picnic tin, filled with hydrangeas that are blooming in my garden. I've included some easy tips to create a blooming centerpiece that don't require any flower arranging skills!
For easy and quick assembly, I added acrylic cups to the picnic tin, lined with plastic grocery store bags to help keep the cups of water from shifting and securely in place. The plastic bags will also protect the bottom of the tin in case any water spills.
Hydrangeas are in bloom and I cut some for a centerpiece. Cut any garden flowers in the early morning hours when they are fulled hydrated and not water stressed from the heat.
Keep your cut hydrangeas from wilting with the alum-dipping method! When arranging them, cut each stem at a 45 degree angle for maximum water uptake and dip 1/2 inch of each cut stem in alum powder, found on the spice aisle at the grocery store. Place your dipped hydrangea stems in your vase (or cups in this case) of room temperature water (the temperature it runs from the tap).
I added the hydrangeas to the individual cups of water. For best results, remove the leaves from hydrangeas since they cause evaporation loss and take water from the head of the flower. Hydrangeas are big drinkers so check your water levels and top off and refresh your water as needed.
Mini flags were added to the hydrangeas for a stars and stripes salute.
Replace your water every other day for long lasting blooms. Recutting the stems and redipping the hydrangeas in alum when you change the water will help them last longer.
Here's a view of our patriotic table! More photos, table sources and details here!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 02, 2018 11:59 PM - More info
Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is