My Happy Place, a Small Shady Garden

75K Views
After taking down a rotting deck I was left with a small area between the steps and the air conditioner that had no direct sunlight. This weeks challenge was the perfect solution!
Time: 3 DaysCost: $100Difficulty: Easy
  • my happy place a small shady garden
Once I got the debris cleared out I realized an old wooden bench that used to sit on the deck might fit in the space and it did.
  • my happy place a small shady garden
I took some old round pebble stones and broke them in smaller pieces. By breaking them I could place them closer together to make a pad for the front of the space.
  • my happy place a small shady garden
Next I bought two sheets of wood lattice.
  • my happy place a small shady garden
Next issue was how to disguise the AC units. Went to Lowes and got two sheets of wooden lattice. I also got some wood pickets , they are used in the railing on a porch or deck. I put them around the lattice to make a panel. Then I stained it all do brown.
  • my happy place a small shady garden
Growers outlet ”here I come”! Went looking for plants that love the shade. I got several ferns (autum fern), two different hosta and some pink impatiences. I got mondo grass tomput around the stones and give the affect of grass.
  • my happy place a small shady garden
after I put some fertilizer mix on the dirt I planted all of the plants. I added a hummingbird feeder too!
  • my happy place a small shady garden
the last thing I did was to paint the lattice behind the bench. The white was a distraction for me and I had stained the wood lattice so I painted the lattice brown too. The stones in front are a path from my porch door to an area where I have my hose attached and my potting supplies. I did stain the pavers Brown. Tired of all the gray look. I love my new space!

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 10, 2018 8:37 AM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.