My Happy Place, a Small Shady Garden

$100

After taking down a rotting deck I was left with a small area between the steps and the air conditioner that had no direct sunlight. This weeks challenge was the perfect solution!
Once I got the debris cleared out I realized an old wooden bench that used to sit on the deck might fit in the space and it did.
I took some old round pebble stones and broke them in smaller pieces. By breaking them I could place them closer together to make a pad for the front of the space.
Next I bought two sheets of wood lattice.
Next issue was how to disguise the AC units. Went to Lowes and got two sheets of wooden lattice. I also got some wood pickets , they are used in the railing on a porch or deck. I put them around the lattice to make a panel. Then I stained it all do brown.
Growers outlet ”here I come”! Went looking for plants that love the shade. I got several ferns (autum fern), two different hosta and some pink impatiences. I got mondo grass tomput around the stones and give the affect of grass.
after I put some fertilizer mix on the dirt I planted all of the plants. I added a hummingbird feeder too!
the last thing I did was to paint the lattice behind the bench. The white was a distraction for me and I had stained the wood lattice so I painted the lattice brown too. The stones in front are a path from my porch door to an area where I have my hose attached and my potting supplies. I did stain the pavers Brown. Tired of all the gray look. I love my new space!

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year

• Beth Trevino

I'm not sure what wood pickets look like but I assume they help keep the lattice upright? It looks like you used some stones to keep it stable as well? A great way to use your space and bench it's very pleasing to the eyes.

• Short

Garden area looks nice. A pic of the air conditioner cover finished and in place would have been nice. Great job.

• Sandra Hohenwarter

Just love, wandering if any other style of wood etc... would work in the same sense.

Question, what did you do with the long black tubing. We have a long one. We have what I call an eye sore, on the front side it is connected to our down water pipe and just laying there.

Would putting a top on it, be a problem for the unit? I would like to use it to hold something light, no plants, well maybe a tomato! lol

Thank you

• Kay Woods

I see a black hose, what is it and how does it help with drainage? Did you bury it?

• Sandra

I'd be careful directing the water UNDER the porch; will rot natural materials (wood) quicker and cause unwanted moisture issues (rusty screws/nails), not to mention creating a breading ground for bugs.