Kitchen Kelli
Kitchen Kelli
  • Norman, OK

Make the Little One in Your Life A Climbing Wall for Less Than $50!!

$45

Our grandson LOVES to climb on everything! Commercial climbing walls were pricey (about $80 on the low side) given that we didn't know if he would like it or not, how long he would enjoy it, or how stable those plastic walls were. Here is our cheap solution - it can be yours too!
make the little one in your life a climbing wall for less than 50, diy, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects, He knew exactly what to do
He knew exactly what to do!
make the little one in your life a climbing wall for less than 50, diy, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects
Start our with some very cheap Oriented Strand Board (OSB) sheathing used for subflooring and one of those blue tarps - we found one on the side of the road during big trash day so ours was free - if you find one that is partially ripped, that's okay, you won't need all of it. Our wood was used in a Wizard of Oz display for Halloween. Staple the tarp tightly around the back side of the boards. Then trim the tarp.
Our Son-in-law helping my husband. When you buy a bag of foot holds, you get long screws with washers and nuts for each one. Mark our your pattern based on child size, drill holes then place foot holds putting screw through wall - secure with washer and nut. Notice the "V" at the top of the climbing wall: That is the size of the pecan tree trunk we are stablizing the wall with - you'll see!
This is a close-up of putting the footholds on the front side.
Close - up of the backside showing how they secured the foot holds!
make the little one in your life a climbing wall for less than 50, diy, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects, Waiting impatiently for it to be done
Waiting impatiently for it to be done!
Three Simple 2x4s cut to give the grade you want on the climbing wall with cross-bars set at different levels - you can't see the one closest to the camera. See how the middle one is set flat and the side ones are set the other way? Depending on your child's wants, you can make this wall steep grade or low grade. And it can be changed as the child grows.
See how it fits against the tree? - there's a picnic table under it now, protected from the weather and brought out for lunches and snacks.
He's learning how to climb the wall - a little at a time and with PaPa's help! Blue Tarp $9, Oriented Strand Board $9, Bag of 30 Footholds with screws, nuts, and washers $25.
Kitchen Kelli

• Ana Mc Lean

Love it!

• Ana Mc Lean

@Kitchen Kelli (yes, I read the comments but no worries) I felt identified with his expectation. My baby is 1 year old but he is walking and dancing all day long as a bigger kid, he is 100% kinesthetic. I know he would love it too. . . Thank you for sharing!

• Jan2413774

Could you please let me know where you bought your footholds , I've looked for them and the ones I have found were very expensive. Thank you!

• Kitchen Kelli

Hi there! We bought them on Amazon. I remember them being about $30 - thank for asking!