Filler for planting in buckets.

Barbara BaldwinChas' Crazy CreationsKathy
+6

I've decided to plant my tomatoes in buckets this year. Is there something I can put in the bucket so I don't have to fill the whole things with soil. I recall seeing something but can't remember where I saw it or am I dreaming???

• Joyceawhitt
    Joyceawhitt

I have seen people put crushed aluminum cans in the bottom or packing peanuts. I have also seen people cut off the bottom and bury it up to the rim to make it easier to weed.
  • Gk
    Gk

When your tomatoes get large and are holding fruit they will be very top heavy. You will have to cage your tomatoes and they can blow over in strong winds if they are not secured to something to keep them upright. Good luck!
  • D
    D

You can also use the containers that the plants come in instead of throwing away. Recycle, repurchase, reuse!
    Janet Pizaro

Use plastic empty clean bottles for the bottom
  • Kelly Greathouse
    Kelly Greathouse

Empty water bottles
  • Patricia Fluharty
    Patricia Fluharty

You can use plastic water bottles for fill in and buckets/planters and that helps with weight issues. I have used this method on a big galvanized tub. Hope this helps.
  • Kathy
    Kathy

I put rocks in the bottom of mine. Helps with drainage and adds weight. Even with the rocks plan on lashing the pot to something stable as it will get top heavy as the plant grows. I tie mine to a chain link fence.
  • Barbara Baldwin
    Barbara Baldwin

Tomatoes have LONG roots.