Craft Invaders
Craft Invaders
  • United Kingdom

How to Make Wildflower Seed Bombs

$5

I have no idea who first came up with the notion of seed bombs, but in the last couple of years I have seen numerous mentions of them as a tool for ‘Guerrilla gardening’. To be clear, the kids and I aren’t planning to take up breaking and entering, or any other illegal activity, and we don’t suggest that you do either! We do, however, see the benefit of spreading a few wildflower seeds about the place to support our native species.
how to make wildflower seed bombs
There are a number of commercial seed bombs on the market now, but it is far cheaper and much more fun to make your own. We made ours using household flour, seed compost and native wildflower seeds. We bought our seed from the garden centre, but you could also collect your own. You can check out our six reasons to gather your own seeds post here. 

how to make wildflower seed bombs
We used the ratio of one cup of flour to 3 cups of compost and combined it well before adding our seed.

how to make wildflower seed bombs
Once we had added our seed, we tried to handle it gently so not to damage any of it! We added just enough water so that the mixture would hold together.

how to make wildflower seed bombs
And then we formed our little seed bombs making them about the size of a marble, leaving them to dry out for 24 hours.

how to make wildflower seed bombs
Once dry stick a handful in your pocket, get outside and start looking for an unloved corner of your neighbourhood that would benefit from a splattering of wildflowers. Alternatively, sprinkle them on top of a few pots in the garden to grow your wildflower meadow. Before it is due to rain is a perfect time to throw your seed bombs.

Craft Invaders

• Ramona

I would like to see the results. A pic of the areas you put the seed bombs would be great.

• Maria

Love it. But did you just lay them on the ground or did u mush them up??? I see in the picture that they look like little meatballs in tac.

• Craft Invaders

Hi Maria. You leave them intact. They are hard so you can throw them and they will stay together. They will soften and germinate once they get wet. So when rain comes or they get watered :)

• Sandie Newstater Vauter

I think this is a great idea, Thanks for sharing. I have everything to do this. I would like to know if you need to cover these with soil? I don't understand how the seeds would get into the ground to grow. Saw someone else asked the same question but there is no answer.

• Craft Invaders

Love the ice cube idea Lynn. These seed balls are designed so they can be thrown which is why they are hard. The idea behind them is you can add wild flowers to unloved areas such as disused sites rather than planted in your own garden (where, as you rightly say, it would be easier to just plant the seeds) They are as much a tool to get people thinking about wildlife and wild spaces as they are a gardening resource. I used flour as an alternative to the clay that they are traditionally made with as a cheaper alternative for people who don't have access to it. Hope that all makes sense :)

• Rosemary. Sciamanna

Yes.Just the kind of thing my grandchildren would love to do.

They love playing the dirt!

• Debbie

My friend works with special needs kids . well I was telling her about this last week so I brought in the flour and seeds. OMG we had the biggest mess . but had the best time . So I called my husband because we needed more stuff so he ran to the seed store. He came in and he started helping the kids. Thank you we had the best time all of us.