Tammy Lagaly
Tammy Lagaly
  • Mansfield, TX

My New and Up-dated Kitchen Dining Area!

After updating my kitchen and living room, the dining area of the kitchen needed some updating in the worst way! It needed new curtains, a new table, and after a wild bunko night a new chandelier!
My eating area before.
My eating area before.
It wasn't all that bad just kinda tired!
my new and up dated kitchen dining area, living room ideas, painting, reupholster, window treatments
A friend was getting rid of an old round table- which I immediately snatched up! As you can see, I painted the base black to match my kitchen cabinets and re-stained the top. I had some old cane back chairs that I painted black also, recovering the upholstered seats with houndstooth material and added a silver nailhead trim. I am in LOVE!
Here is a close up of the chairs.
I found this really cool indoor/outdoor rug on Overstock.com that was the right size, color and price.... Girl squeal! So happy!
Then it was on to the curtains. I wanted floor length panels, but let's face it with a psycho cat in the house that wasn't gonna happen. My only option since I already had the blinds was a valance. I used the houndstooth to mimic the chairs and the Waverley Williamsburg in Ebony material that I used in my living room. Added a little black trim and I have to say I love the way they turned out.
I mentioned earlier that a new chandy was needed after my friend Rox made a grab for a Bunco and ended up taking out my old chandelier! ( Yes, we do take our Bunco's seriously around here!) I loved the new drum shade chandy's but really didn't love the price. So I decided to make one. This chandy came from Home Depot and it cost less than $100.00! Woo Hoo! I decided to make the shade using 23" embroidery hoops with dowel rods to connect them. After glueing them together 10" apart, I covered the entire thing in black organza material. I finished off the rough inside edge with a black satin ribbon. I then used really tiny, sturdy wire to hang the drum shade to the chandelier. And - drum roll please.... we have the perfect chandelier! To me it made the entire room!
Here is the finished room! I also bought a new plant - that I SWEAR I am going to keep alive this time! - and new placemats. I have to say that while we just changing up a few things the whole room feels brand new! So happy with the results.

Tammy Lagaly

• Rose

I love the chandelier...This is one I have been waiting for.

• DAWN DAVIS

I'm a little confused with the drum shade over the chandelier. I've never seen that before. It's different, but something like that could easily grow on me. Way to think outside the box!!