Upcycled Bar Stool {Your Cat Will LOVE This}

$8

An upcycled bar stool wasn't even on my radar.

Until...I visited my favorite thrift store and noticed one sitting on the sidewalk - just beside the door; the very sidewalk that always has items for half price.

A $1 price tag totally put it on that proverbial DIY-er radar and 10 minutes later, it was in my van headed home for a makeover!
upcycled bar stool your cat with love this
Not much to look at, I nearly passed it by on my way into the store.

But when I noticed it sitting there so unassuming and in such sad shape, I decided to check it out and just see how much it might be.

$1! Hmmm...something about a sweet bargain gets the creativity rolling quickly.
I decided it would make the perfect base for a cozy napping basket for our cats. One, in particular, adores packing himself into a basket and sleeping.

He also prefers to be off the ground, so an elevated spot for him would be ideal.

I started by taking the top off the legs. It was originally put together with nails, so getting them out was pretty easy.
Next, I removed what what left of the vinyl cover and pulled out the staples. Again - an easy job since the top was made of particle board.
The legs only needed a light sanding before painting. Despite the time-worn look, the base was still very sturdy and tight.
I grabbed a basket from my stash of things I hope I'll someday find useful.

Do you have one of those stashes?

Sometimes I do and at other times I get so done with the clutter that I clean it all out - then without fail, a few weeks later will wish I had something that I decided to get rid of.

This time, it was a win though because I had the perfect basket.

Both the stool base and the basket got a shiny new paint job.
Meanwhile, it was time to do some work on the top. I gave it a coating of epoxy to seal it well. This project will likely end up outside on the porch or deck and that particle board wouldn't make it through the first month of thunderstorms as it was.

After it was dry, I spread on a layer of Gorilla Glue and centered it on a piece of decor fabric.
After stretching it tightly over the edges, I stapled it down on the back,
then trimmed away the excess.
Since I had some extra fabric, I decided a soft, squishy pillow would be lovely, so I used the top of the basket as a template and cut a double layer of fabric, then sewed a seam around, leaving a 2" opening.
After turning it right-side-out, I stuffed it with filling, stitched up the opening, then fit it into the basket - perfect!

(That was my opinion anyway.)
Since the legs already had holes from the nails, I reattached the top using wood screws for a firmer fit.
After attaching the basket to the top with u nails, it was time to see what Barney thought of it all.

He had a distinct difference of opinion about the pillow that I thought was so nice. He didn't care for it at all and refused to lie down - or even stay in the basket.

So I took it out and he apparently recognized it as a favorite snoozing spot because the bare basket completely appealed to him.

Cat wins.
Isn't that the face of contentment?
And since he took a long and comfy nap, I consider it a win for me too!
To Work With My Hands

• Sunny

How does the cat get up there without knocking the stool over?

• Sunny

YeYes, my cats did amazing things, too, but never had the grace to jump up on a free standing stool without either sliding off or tumbling it over. 😹 🐈 Of course my one cat 🐱 thought she was a dog 🐕. 😱 😋

• Jackie Ostrander

What's the kitty's name ?

• Carey

I have to laugh when you say your kitty likes the "Bare basket" I bought a soft fuzzy cuddle bag for my kitty since he really always wanted to hide his eyes to sleep. He won't use it period. I am packing to move and put my Towels for my dogs in a little box & low and behold, before I had it closed up, he decided it was perfect for him. So now he happily sleeps on those towels in that little box, & his pretty bed remains clean pretty and unused!

• Joanie

I love what you did for your Barney!! I love that material, it is gorgeous and so is the stool and basket........Little Barney got it made!!