Kelleysgirl
Kelleysgirl
  • Friendswood, TX

Dining Room Into Office

$400

Our dining room is rarely used and has become quite a cluttered mess. We decided to turn it into an office and hopefully get rid of the chaos.
dining room into office
Yep, here it is. Not exactly an inviting space. Since giving up my craft room, many of my things just ended up in here. I had just bought new chairs to finish along with the table I planned to paint white. Then the hubs decided we needed a place for the kids to do homework. The craft stuff will just have to find another place to stay.
dining room into office
We had a sheet of plywood ripped at Home Depot and we stacked the 2x8 sheets to make a thick desktop. We used wood glue and nails through the bottom to hold together.
dining room into office
We bought two file cabinets and measured out 8 feet to the edges. Then we placed a cleat in the wall to support the weight of the desktop.
dining room into office
We trimmed out three edges using a different type of wood, as we couldn't find the same as the plywood.
dining room into office
We sanded then stained the top and sides and sealed with poly.
dining room into office
We attached the top to the wall and the desk was done. We removed the rug after this pic was taken.

We plan to add a few more touches- a lamp, desk pad, and a calendar to finish it off.

To see more pics, visit my blog.

Our total cost for just the desk was about $400, mainly because of the cost of the file cabinets. Total cost including new computer and chairs about $1200.

Happy organizing!

Kelleysgirl