I have a peonie plant that isn't blooming. Neighbors plants are in

+4
  • Peter Peter on May 11, 2018
    Perhaps they're set too low... often they do better when divided... older plants bloom less.

• Maria Lang Hoewischer Maria Lang Hoewischer on May 11, 2018
    Yes, Peter is correct. Also the amount of light they are getting. I transplanted some a few years ago. They are too deep and mine are just popping thru the ground :( I will need to replant and hope the bloom next year.

• Bernadette Bernadette on May 12, 2018
      If they don’t need to be divided you can top dress with composted manure it gives older plants nourishment

• Betsy Betsy on May 12, 2018
    They only need to be planted about an inch or so deep ro they won't bloom. If they have buds on them and there are ants around, leave the ants alone! They eat the 'glue' that holds the buds together and help the buds to open. Only use I can find for ants:) Sometimes it takes a year or so for the plant to bloom. It yours is an older plant, you can be really careful and remove some of the dirt around the tubers, and if you see some red things sticking up, leave them alone and remove the dirt around them with a paint brush. They are lovely plants and, need a lot of staking to keep the bush upright. Good luck.

• Kca12100025 Kca12100025 on May 12, 2018
    Per my mother-in-law (she had really beautiful ones). You have to have ants on them for them to bloom. Don't know why, but she said when she killed off the ants hers didn't bloom anymore. Check your neighbors and see if they have some big black ants on them.

• Judy Gephart Judy Gephart on May 13, 2018
    I bought 6 plants at the same time and same place. Several of them didn’t ever blossom. I looked closely and realized the leaves were different?? Also, the 2 in the heave shade didn’t blossom.