Cute Lamp Makeover for $7

25K Views
One fine day I was shopping at "my" Home Goods store and I happened upon these two very cute lamps. (Shocking.....I know LOL)
Time: 2 HoursCost: $7Difficulty: Easy
  • cute lamp makeover for 7
Very cute, right?  And I, of course, had the perfect spot to place them!  ( I always do....or I make one!)   So I check out the price and they are $39.99 a piece.  Ok, so that is not too horribly bad but when you are redecorating almost every room in your house than 80 bucks for 2 accent lamps is about 60 bucks too high!  So, they stayed there. *sigh*

But wait....the story does not end there.....
  • cute lamp makeover for 7
When I got home I started looking over my "junk" and came across a set of  lamps. They were actually packed to go to my local consignment store because I had not been able to sell them on Craigslist.

• cute lamp makeover for 7
That is when the idea struck me!  I knew I had some adorable Waverly fabric that I had been planning to make a couple of pillows out of.....soooooo what if I try to recover the shades and see what happens???  Worst case is that I ruin an already ugly set of lamps and throw them out instead of selling them for maybe 10 bucks...right?  (just nod your head...)

• cute lamp makeover for 7
So, I get out my fabric, scissors and hot glue gun (loaded, I might add) and begin to disassemble the current shade.  I wanted to leave the lining in tact so I just trimmed the outside fabric away.
  • cute lamp makeover for 7
Once the outside fabric was off I measured and cut my new fabric to fit and I began gluing it to the bottom of the lampshade...turning it under as I went.  Easy peasey....
  • cute lamp makeover for 7
Once that was complete I stood the shade up and began the tricky part!  You see, this is not a drum shade.  It has a bit of a bell shape to it and so I had to incorporate some pleats in the fabric in order for the shade to look good.  This took some time and I learned a few lessons, ie. hot glue is HOT and it will remove your fingerprints quickly....so be careful!

• cute lamp makeover for 7
To get the pleats to look good I made sure that I pulled the fabric very tight and then I just sorta, kinda eyeballed the size of the pleat....no measuring here....I just tried to keep the pleats about the same size.  Be sure to use an adequate amount of glue also so that the fabric will stay in place as you are working.

• cute lamp makeover for 7
Nahhhhhh, me either. Very cute....but still not "ringing my bell".....I was really thinking, "ok, this is 'one headed to the consignment store lamp' if I ever saw one!"  Hmmmmm what to do, what to do.......
That's when I remembered the SPRAY PAINT!  Yes, YES, YES.....that was exactly what I was lacking! 
Ya know, spray paint is to women what duct tape is to men!  And with that I was off to the garage.....

• cute lamp makeover for 7
Stand back........ Ahhhhhhh......Mucho Bueno! Wait for it......
  • cute lamp makeover for 7
Now, I am in love......bliss........and the cost to me was:
Lamp: already had
Shade: already had
Spray paint: already had
Fabric: 7 bucks!
(enough for both lampshades!)

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 19, 2018 10:09 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.