Make Your Own Hose Guards

$2

Nothing agrevates me more than to attempt to drag the garden hose to a new part of my flower beds, just to have it break off flowers as I drag it.
So I decided to make hose guards of my own instead of wasting money buying those expensive ones from the garden stores. One web site wants $16 for one! I needed way too many to waste money like that!

make your own hose guards
The first thing that I needed was rebar. I had these from another project but if you have to purchase them, I think I got them from Home
depot for less than $2 for two feet lengths.
make your own hose guards
The next thing I used was a bud vase I found at the thrift store for half price. I glued a glass bell onto the top with E6000 after being double sure that the glass was super clean. After washing it real good in dish soap, I wiped it dry and then wiped it with acetone to remove any oils. Oils can prevent the glue from adhering well. Next I glued the two piece together.
I then waited overnight to be sure they were securely held together.
make your own hose guards
My next step was to hammer the rebar into the ground to the depth I needed so the bud vase would be about two inches off the ground so the garden hose could glide underneath the lip of the vase as I pulled it along.

I did not was the hose to touch the glass but only the rebar.
make your own hose guards
Here it is all ready for the hose to be pulled along side. I placed several of these guards around my flower beds so they can protect my flowers as I pull the garden hose. No more broken off plants now.
Each guard is different since I used different glass pieces. There are no two exactly the same. I have also included a couple of other styles I made with shot glasses glued the back instead of the bud vase style. Naturally these are alot shorter.
make your own hose guards
These really add the the beauty of the garden when it rains, since they sparkle after it rains.
make your own hose guards
Here is one with the shot glass glued to the back of a cute plate.

make your own hose guards
When they are nestled into the flowers, they really add a special touch.
make your own hose guards
Here is another one.
make your own hose guards
This one is made with a cute candle stick holder. Like I said before, there are no two alike.
make your own hose guards
I place them about 4 feet apart so the hose is held away from my flowers.
I put them in from the lawn so the mower does not touch them. Since I do the mowing myself, I am careful with them. As far as them being too delicate, I have not had any get broke or chipped.

It is hard to say just what these cost since I find the pieces long before I actually use them. My guess is that the glass pieces probably cost under $5 for each guard at the thrift store on half off days. That is a far cry from the $16 ones I saw on the web!

• Candace

Wouldnt glass be too fragile for hose or break too easy?

• Chr396731

I don't think the glass would break that easily anyway. Not from the hose anyway.

• Eva Marie

I’m having a hard time trying to figure this out. Why is rebar used? I don’t see it and why 2’ in length. Is it possible to show it with a hose? Thanks

• Charlie Heilig

Home Sepot will usually cut it to any length you would like. The rebar is actually what keeps the hose off the flowers. She puts the glass over it with two inches of the rebar hidden in the edge of the flowerbed. The rebar is pounded into the ground with the glass on top for decoration only. The glass sits about 2 inches off the ground on top of the rebar.

• Rio V Lantana

Is the glass for decoration only? Or does it serve another purpose? I think it's pretty. Looks Like Glass Flowers. Also, Did I Understand Right? The Vase Faces Down, Glued Onto The Rebar, & The Plate Faces Up, Glued Onto The Vase?

• Margaret Powell

The glass pieces are glued together and set onto the rebar.after it is driven as deep as it’s needed. It is not glued to the rebar. The bud vase is set onto the rebar. It has the bell glued to the bottom of the vase.