Make Your Own Hose Guards

53K Views
Nothing agrevates me more than to attempt to drag the garden hose to a new part of my flower beds, just to have it break off flowers as I drag it.
So I decided to make hose guards of my own instead of wasting money buying those expensive ones from the garden stores. One web site wants $16 for one! I needed way too many to waste money like that!

Time: 20 MinutesCost: $2Difficulty: Easy
  • make your own hose guards
The first thing that I needed was rebar. I had these from another project but if you have to purchase them, I think I got them from Home
depot for less than $2 for two feet lengths.
  • make your own hose guards
The next thing I used was a bud vase I found at the thrift store for half price. I glued a glass bell onto the top with E6000 after being double sure that the glass was super clean. After washing it real good in dish soap, I wiped it dry and then wiped it with acetone to remove any oils. Oils can prevent the glue from adhering well. Next I glued the two piece together.
I then waited overnight to be sure they were securely held together.
  • make your own hose guards
My next step was to hammer the rebar into the ground to the depth I needed so the bud vase would be about two inches off the ground so the garden hose could glide underneath the lip of the vase as I pulled it along.

I did not was the hose to touch the glass but only the rebar.
  • make your own hose guards
Here it is all ready for the hose to be pulled along side. I placed several of these guards around my flower beds so they can protect my flowers as I pull the garden hose. No more broken off plants now.
Each guard is different since I used different glass pieces. There are no two exactly the same. I have also included a couple of other styles I made with shot glasses glued the back instead of the bud vase style. Naturally these are alot shorter.
  • make your own hose guards
These really add the the beauty of the garden when it rains, since they sparkle after it rains.
  • make your own hose guards
Here is one with the shot glass glued to the back of a cute plate.

• make your own hose guards
When they are nestled into the flowers, they really add a special touch.
  • make your own hose guards
Here is another one.
  • make your own hose guards
This one is made with a cute candle stick holder. Like I said before, there are no two alike.
  • make your own hose guards
I place them about 4 feet apart so the hose is held away from my flowers.
I put them in from the lawn so the mower does not touch them. Since I do the mowing myself, I am careful with them. As far as them being too delicate, I have not had any get broke or chipped.

It is hard to say just what these cost since I find the pieces long before I actually use them. My guess is that the glass pieces probably cost under $5 for each guard at the thrift store on half off days. That is a far cry from the $16 ones I saw on the web!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of June 10, 2018 11:40 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.