Maggie Cory
Maggie Cory
  • Pahrump, NV

Rock walkway

Is there such a thing as repurposed rock? I took all this rock out from my front yard that was defining my driveway. I just didn't like it and it was hard to weed around them. I really needed something to go from my back door to the doggie gate cause every time it was wet I'd track dirt inside. It was hard work but I really like it now :D

The before look
The before look

I had to dig a little and remove some of the dirt from this area. I wanted to make sure that it would be a level surface after adding my rocks.

Pathway to doggie run
Pathway to doggie run

I dug some of the dirt out over here so that I could put the rocks together.

rock walkway, concrete masonry, landscape

I began piecing them together rock by rock. It felt kind of like a puzzle. Here it is coming along just like I envisioned it

This is where it's at now. Technically, it is semi finished, because in the future I want to add gravel in between the rocks. I filled in between the rocks with dirt, but I didn't fill the cracks up all the way (because that would defeat the purpose of this walkway).

What do you think? Personally, I loved the uneven look, not uneven enough to make it difficult to walk on. It works great!! :D Perfectly imperfect, I think!

• Kathleen

How do you keep weeds from growing between the stones/rocks? Is there something like a resin you could use?

• Janet thomas

I would have laid plastic sheeting after evening out the surface, put the rocks on top of the sheeting and then finish it off with gravel or sand between the rocks. This looks beautiful, what she's done, so much nicer than the dirt! Will be doing the exact same thing in a couple of areas around my garden.

• Ann

IT looks great! You can get a mortar mix that you can spread over and sweep between the rocks, then spray it with water and it will set up to fill the gaps. A bit of pea gravel to finish and you'll keep the weeds out of your cool walkway.

• DORLIS

NEVER, IT CAUSES CANCER!

• Michele Levin

What an awesome idea and you should be proud of your project!!!! No more mud to boot, great job.

• Chris Gaines

Roundup is so bad the company was sold to reduce liability!

• Chris Gaines

My Aunt used boiling water ... how safe is that?

• Cresence

Depends where the water is from.....

WE have polluted the total environment... so now no thing is safe. Was our selfish desire to ‘better’ the world G-d created worth it?!

Hmmmmm ... I wonder!

• Gary Lynn Street

Never what, my friend?

• Tessa Gray Brandstetter

That looks great! I love your idea of using the rocks, no more dirty feet.

• Gayle Deas

Never ever use Roundup. It has poisoned the bees/polinators, our food, crops, poisoned our water and poisoned our children.

• Wol28179052

Salt works really well to kill weeds.

Plain cheap table salt. I buy it in the bulk bins at the supermarket for around .32 a pound.

I use it to kill the weeds growing in my front walk, along the edges of the curb and street, in the cracks in the sidewalk, any place you don't want anything to grow.

Just be careful to not get it on areas where you want things to grow.

• NancyMaria

Roundup gave my dog kidney cancer.

• Betty Counts Edwards

Adding vinegar to salt water works really well for getting rid of weeds!!

• Debbie Nottingham

This is also what I use. It works great.

• Lah

I put salt on weeds in my driveway and it did absolutely nothing to them. They're still thriving.

• Judy Lexemme Hall

I would of put a couple of layers of umderlayment weed paper then the rocks.....then filled in between the rock with sand only..you would be good for a few years before weeds would show up....I simply pull my weeds up by hand....never use roundup

• Jodi Picciolo

Applecider vinegar n Dawn dish soap n salt...it works!

• Jodi Picciolo

• Jodi Picciolo

• Jodi Picciolo

• Jodi Picciolo

• Jodi Picciolo

• Queenbee

Add the vinegar

• Sheri N

I spray white laundry vinegar on my weeds that grow up in the cracks. Make sure you do it on a hot day (the hotter the better)! Kills those little buggers in less than 24 hours!

• Joe Jones

Roundup is poison to humans and pets. Google Monsanto in Anniston Alabama and look at that community what it’s done to homes and people. That’s the gassed released from the refining and making it. Cancer has killed most everyone there at an earlier age than average.

• Anjelykuh.aryzoula.67

i love this, where do you get those type of rocks i don't think i have seen them neither at lowes or home depot

• Paula

They were in her front yard, lining the driveway and she repurposed it. I haven’t seen rocks like this for sale either but try a good stone yard and maybe they’d have something cool as well.

• Barbiedoll

Try a garden center. I am afraid they will be quite expensive. If you live near the country, you could ask a farmer if you can have some of their stones. Might charge you something, Still would get them cheaper than most garden centers.

• Denise Bridwell Peacock

Go to a small creek and get rocks from there. And if this was me i would get some concrete to pour before I set the rock.

• Queenbee

Farmers usually have piles of them and may let u have them if u haul them ur self

• Lori Roberts

Wouldn’t you want to put that liner down, the type for gardens so weeds, grass doesn’t come thru.? Just thinking, cause I had an issue like that

• Jan Wier

Be careful taking rocks from rivers or streams. You need to check with the authorities to confirm it is legal to remove them.

• Joe Jones

They sell these rocks by the pallet wrapped in hog wire fencing at local landscape supply yards they normally have the mulch and dirt and small gravel in bulk piles separated by railroad ties or jersey barriers. If you go there take a trailer or something to fit a pallet in.

• Cherie

you can always pick up rocks along the side of a highway where they blasted the rock away to make the road. They are just sitting on the side of the road and they don't care if you take them. Just thought I would mention it

• Gary Lynn Street

You did a beautiful job. Since I'm in a cold/freezing State, I was concerned about the wet stones freezing resulting in an injury. Any suggestions?

• Tonya Kay Paris

The rocks all look white in the first pic but the other pics they look different colors. How did that happen?

• Lorrie Harris

It rained

• Joe Jones

The white look is the dust that’s accumulated on them over the years and when they get wet they turn the bright colors they are. You can scrub them to take the white look off

• Julia Smithson

Best idea I’ve seen yet! I love the “raised rockway” and have a flood zone to concore every rain season. The flat rock you have is perfect because rounded river rocks make balancing a chore. Harder to make level. Thanks for sharing

• Nancy

what a big job --and totally great. I love the different types of rocks, but then, I am a rock person.