Broken Patio Chair Rescue!!

$20

After a long winter, the snow finally melted enough to assess the condition of the heavy wrought iron patio set that had remained outdoors.
While the chairs looked okay from this distance ....
... a closer view revealed this, on both chairs — ripped vinyl. The interesting thing is that the vinyl material on the back was intact and strong. It was only the seats that were ruined. How do you repair half a chair??
After the torn vinyl was removed, this photo shows the chairs ready for repair. I was not sure where to begin, but I thought I’d touch up the wrought iron with some Winter Gray spray paint.
After checking in with fellow HomeTalkers, I found a video posted by a contributor that offered the perfect remedy for my broken half a chair (I’ll share her wonderful video below ... her instructions are fantastic). All I needed to begin was 100 yards of 6mm polypropylene cord and 2 #19 crochet hooks.
The first step of the repair was to tie the cord on to one of the side supports. Don’t worry about loose ends because you will end up melting them with a lighter. Notice on the picture how you stretch the cord across the seat and form a loop on the end.
Turn your loop to go over the side support. Be sure to go up over the top and curl the loop under.
Place one of your crochet hooks in the loop and secure it by pulling the cord tight. This will serve as a place holder while you do the same to the other side.
Here you can see the crochet hook threading through the same kind of loop on the left side of the chair. Pull tight around the crochet hook…
... and secure like we did on the right side. This truly is the hardest part. It’s a piece of cake from here. :)
From this point on, you will continue to stretch the cord across the chair frame, making loops just like before, over then under, but now you will catch the loop with the crochet hook, and pull it through the existing loop as shown above.
Repeat on the left side of the chair, looping the cord over then under, catching the loop with the crochet hook, and pull through. Be sure to pull tight and secure the hook each time.
When you have covered the entire seat, it will look something like this. Notice how the crochet hook stays secured the the whole time. When you reach the end, you cut the cord, leaving a 36” tail. Pull the tail through one side and then the other. The loose ends will be torched with a lighter and melted. Flambé :)
This photo shows how nice the weave looks up close.
Now you will repeat the process going the other direction. You can weave in different designs, but I decided to just use a simple over and under pattern.
Here is the woven seat all finished. It is strong and secure — ready for a new cushion.

Now all I have to do is go to Menards or Lowe’s and find that cushion that will coordinate with the stripes! Flowers maybe? :):)

As promised, here is the tutorial (with videos) that was posted by Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com who provided such great instructions!

• Mesamuels

Would this work on this kind of patio chairs made out of PVC?

• Scarlett Butler

I think it would work as long as the PVC pipe is sturdy enough to support the pressure from the cord. Good luck!

• Teresa

Can you keep going right up the back also if the back rips?

• Jewellmartin

Have you chosen your chair cushions yet? I like your idea of a floral. With the chair colors being so muted, you could go tropical flowers or parrots! Be sure to do another post, from sanding to sealing, from weaving to achieving—The Chair of the Year! ☺️

• Debbie Brasher

I have thought about doing this on a glider frame but concerned about the rope stretching out. Have you had a problem with the rope stretching and sagging?

• Sms

I repaired my chairs in a similar way. Just weaving back and forth across the seat. I used macrame cord and they turned out really nice. Still holding up after 5 years.

• Roa

It will look even fabulous if you have made it all the way.